Getting back to writing...

I very recently set a goal for myself to spend much less time on Facebook. I removed the app from my phone to "force" myself to check it less often and post less. I'm breaking the impulse to share compulsively; whether it's a meal or a conviction. It feels healthy and liberating. I can't bring myself to completely leave because I know I would miss important information and many photos I love seeing from friends and family. But I am enjoying feeling less engaged. So if I miss wishing you a happy birthday, it's just that I didn't look at Facebook that day.

I have kept Instagram on my phone, but I have intentionally kept my IG account small and private. I don't want a large audience and I don't want too much in my feed. I want to keep it personal. Something I did not do with Facebook and have often regretted. Now, it is what it is. And I have a hard time unfriending people, even if we are only casual friends. 

I used to write on my blog regularly. I think social media has made me lazy when it comes to writing. That, and I don't have the same need to be heard that I once did. I sometimes think about writing a third book and I even have a title, if I ever do get serious about it as a project. But I'm not sure I will ever be as focused or dedicated to the process as I had to be with the ones I have already published. I actually have two topics I would like to write on, if I ever find the motivation again. One is caregiving. The other would be my observations and life lessons on growing for as long as we live. My perspective and goals have grown with every decade.

However, even if I never write another book, I have my blog. And I want to attempt to write here again more frequently. I don't know exactly what that will look like. Maybe weekly. Maybe monthly. But I want to get back to writing from my heart and not for social media consumption. 

For that reason, after this post, I am not always going to share a link on my Facebook page when I write. I just want to write and not "solicit" readers or responses. My blog has never been monetized and it isn't about clicks for me. I used to use a stat counter app and I don't anymore. I want to write for the sake of writing and processing and future reflection. And if what I share resonates with another person or a few regular readers, great. But writing is the goal; not having an audience. And I don't want to promote my writing. Self-promotion was the most awkward part of publishing my two books. 

I am a very "out there" person by nature. And I am a natural salesperson. But one of the main reasons I had to get out of selling real estate years ago was my discomfort with self-selling and self-promotion. The last couple of times I shared a blog link on my Facebook page, I felt that same discomfort. I don't want to presume anyone is particularly interested in reading what I write. 

With that being said, I invite you to read whenever you want to. You're always invited. You can subscribe if you want a notification that I've posted something. You can check randomly. Or you can skip it altogether. That is up to you. I just don't want to involve your news feed. (But, one never knows...I may still post a link sometimes!)

I'm thankful for those of you who share my desire to reflect, explore and grow through every experience. Nothing is more important in life than our relationships with one another and our growth. We grow individually; but also in chorus if we choose to. I am a chorus person. I have always enjoyed being part of a choir of voices that harmonize. I've told John many times at concerts that I would never want to be the front person, but I'd love to be a backup singer. I feel the same way when I write. I'm always hoping something I write and share will resonate and be helpful to others. I am open to and eager for your feedback, whether on the blog or in a private response. My hope is to be your backup with my "vocals."

I know what I will write about in my first new chapter of writing. But I'm going to save it for another day because this entry is already long enough.

Comments