Thankful for: Survivors Who Invest Their Suffering




Several weeks ago, I had the privilege of attending the ABC Rutherford Fashion Show to benefit breast cancer survivors. The event was held at New Vision Baptist Church in Murfreesboro, TN.

I just happened to be in Nashville and went to the fashion show to support my sweet friend and breast cancer survivor Jessica Barrett Halcom. (She is also the author of the blog Mrs. Jones Could Use a Beer.) 

All the fashion models walking the stage that night were breast cancer survivors. There were also speakers who shared their very personal stories of battling and beating breast cancer.

I loved the way one speaker described her involvement with ABC Rutherford as the opportunity she was looking for to invest her suffering.

I loved that phrase. And I am so thankful I was there to hear her say those words. I knew her words would stay with me.

Suffering is hard to endure and often hard to understand. Sometimes we can't help wondering why God allows good people to suffer some of the things He does.

Especially cancer.

As I listened to detailed stories of what the women on stage that night had overcome, I was moved and inspired by their resilience, their gratitude for life, and their desire to make a difference in the lives of others. Each and every woman participating that night was investing her suffering in the care of others -- physical and emotional -- who would find themselves walking a similar path.

Each one was helping someone else to overcome.

Each one was an inspiration in overcoming adversity and helping someone else to do the same.

Other than my role as caregiver and advocate, I haven't battled cancer personally. But that's the kind of life I want to live. Whatever suffering comes my way, I want to be able to turn into an investment, hopefully easing the suffering of someone else.

I'm thankful I had the privilege of attending that night. I knew I would be proud of my own personal friend Jessica. But I was really proud of each and every woman who crossed the stage. And I was so proud of the speaker who talked about wanting to invest her suffering.

We make the world a better place every time we choose to invest our suffering. And we all have some kind of suffering to invest.

The reward of knowing we have made a difference in someone else's life, inspired hope, or made someone feel less alone turns suffering into an investment with a flourishing return.

Thank you, Women of ABC Rutherford, for investing your suffering.
May you be richly rewarded as your investment flourishes in others.

Comments

Jessica Halcom said…
Ugly crying...thank you so much, Shari.