Old Fashioned Hot Fudge

It's Super Bowl Sunday and we have about eight inches of snow outside. That combination means lots of eating. 

I've tried to pace myself and have a little bit of this and a little bit of that throughout the afternoon instead of sitting down and stuffing myself all at once when the game starts. I haven't really done that bad. I've had one little meatball slider and one Hebrew National hot dog. But I started my day with Sister Schubert's cinnamon rolls and I've probably eaten too many chips and queso. When the game starts, I will enjoy a few more chips with some freshly made guacamole and then munch on fresh strawberries, pineapple and frozen banana dipped in this lovely hot fudge that is cooling on my stove right now. 




I shared my Super Bowl splurging philosophy with friends on Facebook and I'll share it here as well:

I am not going to feel guilty about eating chocolate. I'm going to feel good about myself for dipping fresh fruit in it instead of pouring it all over a bowl of ice cream.

I found this recipe online many years ago and have been making it ever since. I love looking at recipes on Pinterest, so I thought I would post a picture and recipe on my blog so I could "pin" it and share with friends.






INGREDIENTS:

¾ Cup Heavy Cream
2 Tbsp. Light Corn Syrup
1/8 tsp. Salt
1 Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
2 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate
2 tsp. Vanilla

1. Chop unsweetened chocolate until fine.
2. Put chocolate into heavy saucepan and melt with butter and corn syrup over low heat.
3. Stir. Add cream and sugar, then bring mixture to a boil.
4. Boil over moderate heat without stirring for eight minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
6. Serve sauce hot over ice cream. (Roll vanilla ice cream scoops in toasted coconut or top 
with toasted coconut for an Outback Sydney's Sinful Sundae.)

Tips:
• Sauce will keep, covered and chilled, for one month.
• Let sauce cool completely before covering with lid – condensation will make it grainy.
• Reheat sauce, uncovered, in a double boiler.
• Recipe makes 1 ½ Cups of Hot Fudge Sauce.

Comments