Happy Thanksgiving

I baked two pies tonight and put a whole turkey breast in a very large crock pot to cook overnight. I normally do a turkey breast in the crock pot for extra white meat and extra broth. Then John does the real turkey in the oven on Thanksgiving Day. This year, however, we are only doing the turkey breast because it's just the three of us; John, me and Marian (his mom). And I convinced John there was no reason for him to mess with a turkey this year. He loves preparing the turkey and that is always his job. But he agreed that the turkey breast would be sufficient and it would be a lot less hassle. Other than that, I will be making our usual feast of dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes fried in butter and brown sugar, cranberries, corn, green beans and yeast rolls...followed by pumpkin and chess pies. We won't put a dent in the food. But you just have to have certain things on Thanksgiving.

Although I was initially disappointed that we would not be spending Thanksgiving with extended family this year, I find myself looking forward to a quiet, relaxed day at home tomorrow. Since publishing my book, I have experienced such a wide range of emotions. I can honestly say there has been far more positive feedback than negative and more highs than lows. But I have definitely noticed that between the reactions to the book and the stress of John's health issues and treatment, I am especially emotional and sensitive lately. Little things seem to trigger a disproportionate wave of "feelings." In my fragile moments, I don't like the way I am. I wish I didn't feel everything so deeply. It's a blessing and a curse all rolled into one.

I guess when all is said and done, I would rather be sensitive than insensitive. But my sensitivity is a pain in the you know what to me right now.

Having said all that, I don't think I have ever been more thankful for John. He is such a rock of stability for me. I was telling him tonight how much I appreciate his soothing, stable, steady presence in my life. When I'm feeling stressed and emotional, he is so gentle, calming and reassuring. He never speaks harsh words. He is never unkind. He always seems to know just what to say and how to make me laugh at whatever is bothering me. I am so blessed.

There could not be a more perfect husband for me in the entire universe. And I am so thankful for him. I hope and pray that God will give him a long remission and allow us to have many more years together. But no matter what tomorrow holds, I am so thankful for what God has done in our lives. Even when I'm struggling, I feel like the most blessed person on the face of the earth. I know John feels equally blessed, but I really do think I got the bigger blessing.

I couldn't go to bed tonight without sharing my thoughts. I will fall asleep, as I do so many nights, thanking God for being so good to me. My life could be so different today and I owe everything to the love and mercy of God.

I pray every person reading this will have a peaceful, restful and joyful Thanksgiving and truly count their blessings. I know I will.

Comments