Random Thoughts

My thoughts are all over the place tonight. It's been a laid back Sunday at home. John came home earlier than usual yesterday. We went to church and to dinner. We have done absolutely nothing today but relax. He has watched sports and I've cooked, baked and read two different books plus a little online reading.

John starts treatment Tuesday and I'm thankful he has an extra day off prior to that. He works six days a week and only takes a few holidays off. Labor Day is one of those holidays. Tomorrow we are going out on the lake (on a pontoon boat) with friends. I can't think of a better way to spend the day before beginning a six month course of treatment. Being on the water with friends sounds really good to me. I baked a batch of carrot cake cupcakes to take along. I have made it through the whole day without biting into one of them - or opening the bag of Lays Barbeque Kettle Chips I bought to take either!

Now that the book is finished, I almost don't know what to do with myself. I am satisfied that I've made every change that needs to be made and am ready to publish. I'm just waiting for my editor to make those changes to the PDF and send it back to me (probably Tuesday). Even though I'm not totally immersed in writing and editing now, I still dream about the book in various ways. While editing, I would dream of sentences I needed to fix. Last night I dreamed about a specific Scripture reference. A friend mentioned this Scripture to me last week - in connection with my book - and it must have lodged in my brain because I dreamed last night that I was writing the chapter and verse in books as I signed them.

I started reading a book today by Francis Chan, called "Crazy Love; Overwhelmed by a relentless God." It's the book our college students are currently reading and discussing in their small groups. I asked Jenna if she thought it was a book I would want to read and she enthusiastically said, "Yes! Pick one up as you leave." So I did. I didn't know if it was geared toward young adults specifically. But my ears perked up when I heard her say to the group that it might be the most challenging book they have ever read second to the Bible. I'm not sure I would have even asked her about it if she hadn't said that. Now that I'm halfway into it, I understand why she said that.

I love books that focus the reader on God rather than self. This book really challenges you not to be lukewarm about God. It's a small but powerful book. I highly recommend it; especially if you are not content to stay as you are. The older I get, the more I feel a sense of urgency not to waste my life here on earth. I want my life to count for the kingdom of God. As I've read this book off and on today, I have wanted to post so many quotes. But for tonight, let me leave you with this one:

"Lukewarm people call radical what Jesus expected of all his followers."

I pray that I will become a radical servant of Christ, holding nothing back and refusing to play it safe.

Comments