Quotes from the Internet

"If with God is the safest place to be at the moment of your greatest failure, then, you understand the cross."
~ Wayne Jacobson (Thank you, Dee Dee)

"Obedience (to God) with the motive of personal glory is disobedience."
~ Brent Kercheville (Thank you, Susan)

And people say Facebook is a waste of time. I don't think so when you are starting your day reading quotes like these!

Yes, it's true that much time can be wasted on the Internet. I'm living proof of that and so are many others. But many blessings also come from the Internet. For instance, because of the message board I have participated in (for ex members of the cult I grew up in), I have made some very special friends I otherwise would not have known. Because of sharing my blog and book websites on that message board, I have had the joy of reconnecting with some friends from my childhood that I haven't heard from in years. Let me share just two really neat examples.

Example number one: Several weeks ago, someone sent me a friend request on Facebook. She was an anonymous poster on the message board but knew my name (I was not anonymous). She identified herself and explained how she knew me and I accepted her request. I then went to her profile page and looked at her pictures. I saw pictures of her kids in the same town I live in and thought, "Is it possible she's right here close by?" Well, as it turned out, not only does she live close by, she goes to the same church I attend. But we go on Saturday night and she goes on Sunday morning. Yesterday I met her at McDonald's so we could talk while the kids played on the playground. And I feel like I have made a new "old" friend. Even though we just met face to face for the first time, I feel like I have known her forever. The bond was instantaneous. It's because of a shared history that few understand or relate to. Hers was more traumatic than mine. But we could relate to one another quite easily and there were many similarities. She grew up in another state and in a different local church, but was a part of the same group I came out of and had a very similar background, similar baggage, similar memories. Somehow, she and I (through circumstances of life) wound up living close enough to each other to be attending the very same church. But it was through the Internet that we found each other. I know this person will be a friend for the rest of our lives. After spending two hours with her, I love her. I'm so thankful for this friendship.

Example number two: I received a pre-order of my book yesterday from a name I remembered from childhood. I haven't seen or talked to this person in over twenty years. But I instantly knew who she was. And since I receive an email address with every book order, I responded to thank her and ask if she was the person I thought she was. She wrote me a long email and told me all about her life. She has been happily married for twenty-two years to the man Brother Mears was opposed to her marrying. She left the church because it was not acceptable to marry outside the group. But she now knows she made the right decision not to choose the church over her husband. She wants to keep in touch and so do I.

These are just two examples. There are others. Some of those you will read about in my book. As soon as the cover's done, I will submit it for publishing. I added some text (suggested by my editor) to the back cover and my designer is having to rework it a bit for those changes. I hope and pray the book will be submitted this week. I hate to keep delaying the release for those who have already purchased their books.

Comments