Refrigerators and Titan Football

Well, the anticipated expense of our refrigerator problem turned out to be worse than I could have anticipated. I didn't know this could even happen. As I was busy baking a banana cake and making homemade croutons for my Caesar Salad (preparing to tailgate at the Titan game), the technician broke the bad news to me yesterday that my refrigerator cannot be repaired. It will have to be replaced.

Our house is only three years old and we are the first occupants. We will have lived here two years in February. Our refrigerator is a built-in KitchenAid. But if you've been reading prior to today, you know the story about its purchase. It was quite a surprise. But I couldn't help thinking that even if we had to use our laundry room refrigerator for an extended period of time and do without a kitchen refrigerator, we are so blessed. So when John said we might not replace it right away, I was fine with that. Thanksgiving might be a little more challenging without the space, but certainly not impossible. Today, however, John called and asked me to measure the refrigerator and then later he called to ask me if a water and ice dispenser was a necessity. We can save quite a bit of money if we buy a new one without the dispenser.

I told him, sure, no problem. I can do without a dispenser in the door. And then I said, "But I can't remember...How is the ice dispensed without one?" He just cracked up and said, "I guess we'll get it out of the icemaker with a scoop or our hand. You can't remember how you got ice before you had a dispenser in the door? That's funny." It just goes to show how spoiled we can get by our modern conveniences. The thought of putting my hand in the ice bin seemed a bit unsanitary to me after having the dispenser. But before I had a dispenser in the door, I didn't give that a second thought.

I completely emptied the contents of my large refrigerator and turned it off. Then I put everything I could fit into the back up fridge and threw out everything else. I have never been so thankful for my little laundry room refrigerator.

I didn't let the bad news ruin my day. I finished preparing my contribution to the tailgate party and we headed for LP Field and Monday Night Football. Danny got to go with us and we got to spend a little time with Jeff and Lu (John's brother and his wife) before the game. They also have season tickets, but we don't always get to see each other because our seats are on opposite sides of the field. The game was exciting and we had a great time. On the way home we talked about going to the Superbowl if the Titans get there.

I just noticed the time...better go. I am meeting friends for dinner.

Comments