Chapter 11: Pride

Here are some quotes and thoughts on the subject of pride...

"One of the problems with pride is that we can see it in others but not in ourselves."

"I venture that of all the subtle sins we will address in the book, the pride of moral superiority may be the most common, second only to the sin of ungodliness. But though it is so prevalent among us, it is difficult to recognize because we all practice it to some degree."

Bridges explores four specific areas of pride in this chapter: moral self-righteousness, pride of correct doctrine, pride of achievement, and an independent spirit.

He uses the pride of the Pharisee in Jesus' parable as an example of moral self-righteousness and then explores why it's so easy for us to fall into this same attitude today, since society as a whole is openly committing or condoning such flagrant sins.

Because we don't commit those sins, we tend to feel morally superior and look with a certain amount of disdain or contempt on those who do. It's not that those sins I've mentioned are not serious sins that are tearing apart the moral fabric of our society. Indeed, they are serious, and I respect those Christian leaders of our day who raise a prophetic moral voice against them. But the sin we ourselves fall into is the sin of moral self-righteousness and a resultant spirit of contempt toward those who practice those sins. In fact, Jesus told the parable about the Pharisee "to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt" (Luke 18:9).

So, how do we guard against this sin of self-righteousness?

First, by seeking an attitude of humility based on the truth that "there but for the grace of God go I." Though that statement has become something of a trite expression, it is indeed true for all of us. If we are morally upright, and especially if we are believers who seek to live morally upright lives, it is only because the grace of God has prevailed in us. No one is naturally morally upright. Rather, we all have to say with David, "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me" (Psalm 51:5, NIV). Rather than feeling morally superior to those who practice flagrant sins we condemn, we ought to feel deeply grateful that God by His grace has kept us from, or perhaps rescued us from, such a lifestyle.

Another way Bridges suggests we can avoid the pride of moral superiority is by identifying ourselves before God with the sinful society we live in. He uses Ezra as an example of this humility. Ezra was a godly man who lived an exemplary life. "Yet on occasion when he became aware of some of the deep sin among the people, he identified himself with their sin, even though he himself was not guilty." Reference Ezra 9:6, where Ezra prays, "O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift my face to you, my God, for our iniquities have risen higher than our heads, and our guilt has mounted up to the heavens."

Note how [Ezra] included himself in his confession of guilt: "our iniquities" and "our guilt." As we in our day see the increasing moral degradation of our society, we need to adopt the attitude of Ezra. As we do so, it will tend to keep us from self-righteous pride.

I remember hearing so many comments about God's judgment when Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans. And I also remember hearing my pastor address the subject from a completely different angle -- the same perspective Bridges is advocating here. My pastor talked about how we are no less deserving of God's judgment here in Middle Tennessee than anywhere else. By making statements about God's judgment coming to others, we exhibit an attitude of moral superiority and exhibit the pride of self-righteousness. As I read this chapter, I also reflected on a Tim Keller sermon where he said that if you pray for God's judgment to come tomorrow morning, "better not make any plans for 12:01." No kidding. There are certain comments that stand out in my mind and will be with me for the rest of my life. That was one I know I will never forget. If we want to be recipients of God's mercy, we must desire His mercy for others.

It's so important to always keep in the front of our minds how deserving WE are of God's wrath and judgment. It is only by God's grace and mercy that we have any good in us at all. I believe this 100% about myself. I am so flawed. I make so many mistakes and wrong choices. I'm full of hypocrisy. I over-react. I'm unmotivated (my euphemism for laziness). I'm sensitive and easily wounded. I'm co-dependent. In other words, plain and simple, I'm a mess!!! I need a Savior!!! I need grace!!!

I don't think of myself as a prideful person. But I realize there is much within me that I don't see as clearly and easily as others do. And I certainly don't see everything hidden in my heart the way God does. I have prayed many times for God to reveal the hidden motives and selfish agendas of my own heart. At the same time, I pray that He will do it gently and not show me more than I can handle at any one time. He has answered both prayers so many times.

I was telling a friend very recently how vulnerable I have been feeling lately. Normally, I am very comfortable with vulnerability. But recently I have been feeling like I want to withdraw from any situation that hurts or invites potential for pain. I'm not sure what is causing this. Maybe a little less vulnerability on my part could be using wisdom in some cases. But I don't want to become a person whose priority is self-protection. I want to resist that impulse. I want to be able to face my shortcomings and not try to self-preserve by retreating and withdrawing from people or situations that might expose me to pain. In reading this chapter, I am wondering if pride is not an element of this recent strugggle. I really want to be humble enough to face the truth about myself, no matter how bad it hurts.

Bridges concludes by urging his readers to pray over this chapter, asking God to bring to mind "any tendencies of pride in these areas and then confessing them as sin."

As you do so, remember God's promise in Isaiah 66:2. "This is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word."

Comments