Dependence and Responsibility

Chapter Six: Directions for Dealing with Sins

In chapter six, Bridges revisits some of the highlights of the first five chapters before moving on to specific tolerated sins in chapter seven. He has used a term all throughout the book to illustrate the gospel way to pursue holiness; dependence and responsibility.

He writes that "while depending on the Holy Spirit, we must at the same time recognize our responsibility to diligently pursue all practical steps for dealing with our sins. I know that keeping both these truths -- that is, our dependence and our responsibility -- equally in mind is difficult. Our tendency is to emphasize one to the neglect of the other. Here the wisdom of some of the older writers will help us: 'Work as if it all depends on you, and yet trust as if you did not work at all.'"

I really liked that quote. I have seen, in myself anyway, that the more I focus on fully trusting God, instead of trying to be in control, the more progress I make in overcoming my nature. I don't mean to suggest I have overcome my nature in the big picture. But I have small victories in specific situations where I recognize the Holy Spirit has empowered me to overcome my nature (if only temporarily at this point). I experienced this even in the past week.

I have had peace this week that I haven't had in a long time. My tension headaches have disappeared. My symptoms of acid reflux have significantly improved in the last few days. I have slept all night every night. This morning I slept without interruption until 6:00 AM. I haven't slept that late in weeks, maybe months. Recently, I am never asleep past 5:30. But many days I am awake between 4:00 and 5:00. And more and more frequently, I have been waking up anywhere from 2:30 to 4:00, unable to go back to sleep for hours or not at all. It's amazing how thankful you can feel for a good night's sleep once you have experienced the inability to sleep on a recurring basis.

All of the physical issues I've been struggling with are stress-related. I have had bouts with anxiety that have often felt beyond my control, resulting in many tears. I tend to blame everything on physical changes and the aging process. But I know in my heart that these changes are not the whole problem. When I'm overwhelmed with fear and anxiety, I'm not trusting God. Instead of letting him drive, I'm nudging Him into the back seat and trying to take control of the car. The more dependent I am on Him, the more peace I have. And the more peace I have, the more I am able to do my part to grow up in Him.

There is a parallel between the physical and spiritual aspects of anxiety. When I am sleep-deprived, I am more susceptible to feeling overwhelmed by external stress (resulting in tears, reflux and headaches). When I am peace-deprived, I am more susceptible to fear and anxiety (resulting in tears and sleepless nights).

The more I trust God, the more I want to obey. And only when I am fully trusting God for His will do I have complete peace.

Comments