Chapter Four: The Remedy for Sin

I love this book. And this is exactly the chapter I needed to read this morning. Bridges begins by telling the story of John Newton. Newton had been a slave trader who eventually became a minister. "At the end of his life, Newton said to a friend, 'My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior.'"

Paul the apostle tells us, "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost" (1 Tim. 1:15). I love what Bridges writes about both of them and us:

Both John Newton and the apostle Paul saw themselves as great sinners, but with a great Savior. Most believers cannot identify with either John Newton or the apostle Paul in the gravity of their earlier sins. We may not have committed adultery, murdered anyone, dealt drugs, or embezzled from our employers...However, though I have not committed any of the big scandalous sins, I have gossiped, spoken critically of others, harbored resentment, become impatient, acted selfishly, failed to trust God in difficult issues of life, succombed to materialism, and even let my favorite football team become an idol. I have to say with Paul that I am the foremost of sinners. Or to paraphrase John Newton's words, "I am a great sinner, but I have a great Savior." That is my only hope. That is the only remedy for my sin, and it is your only remedy as well.

Both John Newton and Paul spoke of themselves as sinners in the present tense. Neither of them said I was; they said I am. It's clear in the context of Paul's statement that he was reflecting on his earlier sins as a persecutor. Likewise, we know from Newton's own reflections that he never got over the fact that he had been a slave trader. In fact, with each passing year, he became more horrified at his former life.

Does that mean, then, that though describing themselves as sinners in the present tense, they were referring only to their past sins as a persecutor and a slave trader? It is hardly possible that they would think that way. We know, for instance, that several years before writing 1 Timothy, Paul referred to himself as "the very least of all the saints" and as a minister of the gospel only by the grace of God (see Ephesians 3:7-8). In fact, there seems to be a downward progression in Paul's self-awareness from the least of the apostles (see 1 Corinthians 15:9, written AD 55) to the very least of all the saints (see Ephesians 3:8, written in AD 60) to the foremost of sinners (see 1 Timothy 1:15, written about AD 63 or 64).

We can be sure that over the years from their conversion to their death, both Newton and Paul grew in Christlike character. Over time, both of them acted more and more as the saints they had become at conversion. But that growth process involved becoming more aware of and sensitive to the sinful expressions of the flesh still dwelling within them...

The remedy for our sin, whether scandalous or acceptable, is the gospel in its widest scope...When I say the gospel in its widest scope, I am referring to the fact that Christ, in His work for us and in us, saves us not only from the penalty of sin but also from its dominion or reigning power in our lives.

Bridges writes that we will get specific, beginning in chapter seven, about many of the "respectable sins" in our lives. But first we need to take a good look at the gospel for several reasons.

First, the gospel is only for sinners...However, though we truly are saints in the sense of being separated unto God, all of us are still practicing sinners. All the ethical commands and exhortations addressed to believers in the New Testament assume there is still sin present in our lives that needs to be addressed...So the first use of the gospel, as a remedy for our sins, is to plow the ground of our hearts so that we can see our sin. Stepping forward to accept my place as a sinner in need of the gospel each day drives a dagger into my self-righteous heart and prepares me to face up to and accept the reality of the sin that still dwells within me.

Second, not only does the gospel prepare me to face my sin, it also frees me up to do so. Facing our sin causes us to feel guilty. Of course we feel guilty because we are guilty. And if I believe, consciously or unconsciously, that God still counts my sin against me, my instinctive sense of self-protection forbids me to acknowledge my sin and guilt, or, at least, I seek to minimize it. But we cannot deal with a particular manifestation of sin, such as anger or self-pity, until we first openly acknowledge its presence and activity in our lives. So I need the assurance that my sin is forgiven before I can even acknowledge it, let alone begin to deal with it.

By acknowledging my sin, I mean more than a halfhearted admission to myself that I acted selfishly in a given instance. Rather, I mean a wholehearted, defenseless admission, "I am a selfish person, and that particular act was only a manifestation of the selfishness that still dwells within me." But in order to make such an admission, I need the assurance that my selfishness is forgiven -- that God no longer holds it against me. The gospel gives us that assurance...To the extent that I grasp, in the depth of my being, this great truth of God's forgiveness of my sin through Christ, I will be freed up to honestly and humbly face the particular manifestations of sin in my life. That's why it is so helpful to affirm each day with John Newton that "I am a great sinner, but I have a great Savior."

Bridges points out that it is the gospel that motivates us and energizes us to deal with our sins. "It is not enough to honestly face our sin. If we are to grow in Christlike character, we must also deal with it. To use a scriptural term, we must 'put it to death' (see Romans 8:13; Colossians 3:5). But as has been well said, the only sin that can be successfully dealt with is forgiven sin."

The assurance that God no longer counts our sins against us assures us that God is for us. We are not alone in our battle with sin. My heavenly Father loves me infinitely, even in the face of my sin. This encourages us and motivates us to deal with our sin. It produces a strong sense of gratitude for what God has done and is doing for us through Christ. This encouragement and gratitude produces a desire to deal with our sin. And Bridges reminds us, "Make no mistake: Dealing with our sin is not an option. We are commanded to put sin to death. It is our duty to do so. But duty without desire soon produces drudgery."

I am relating deeply to Bridges next words about how the fact that God has forgiven me of all my sin is so radical that it seems too good to be true. He says (and I feel):

Especially on a day when circumstances have made you vividly aware of your selfishness, impatience, or resentment, it does seem too good to be true...But it doesn't matter if we're having a "bad" day or a "good" day. Even on what seems like our very best days, we still need to preach the gospel to ourselves. The truth is, there is never a day in our lives when we are so "good" we don't need the gospel.

Bridges explains that preaching the gospel to ourselves daily means beginning each day with the realization that despite being a saint, we still sin every day "in thought, word, deed, and motive." And "even if my conscience is not indicting me for conscious sins, I still acknowledge to God that I have not even come close to loving Him with all my being or loving my neighbor as myself. I repent of those sins, and then I apply specific Scriptures that assure me of God's forgiveness to those sins I have just confessed."

Bridges gives a list of Scriptures we can turn to in order to assure ourselves of God's forgiveness and remind ourselves that our only hope of right standing with Him is the shed blood of Jesus for our sins and the righteous life He lived on our behalf and points to the twofold work of Christ that is "beautifully captured" in this hymn:

"My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness."
("The Solid Rock" - written by Edward Mote)

There was much discussion under my previous post as to whether or not we should be focused on our daily sins. I read every comment with an open mind, wanting to get whatever wisdom I can from another person. But I am still under the conviction that I need to always feel these words of John Newton:

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me."

Some days I feel more wretched than others. But I'm always a wretch. And the more I confront the sin and selfishness in me, the more amazed I am by His love for me. What I am experiencing as I look at myself and the reality of the condition of my heart is so opposite of condemnation and shame and beating myself up. I see how different God's love for us is from our feeble attempts to love. And I appreciate what Christ has done for me all the more because in no way can I ever contribute one thing to my salvation. I belong to God through his grace and mercy and His unending, amazing love for me. I know He always loves me, no matter how I have failed Him. That makes me want to do everything I possibly can to live in such a way that I show my gratitude and love in return. I know I will continue to struggle with daily sins; especially those of selfishness. But I cannot take my sin lightly and minimize it because it's forgiven. Knowing I am forgiven is truly what enables me to look at myself realistically and admit that I'm not who I want to be on a daily basis. I am SO thankful for the revelation of the gospel in my life. I could write a thousand pages and never convey to you what I feel. All I can say is that my gratitude has grown in direct proportion to my awareness of my condition. But I don't see that as a depressing thing. I see it as liberating. Thank God, I am not the author and finisher of my faith. He is.

Comments