It's time

I haven't posted much this week. I have been feeling compelled to share something; a dream. And I have a lot of inner turmoil about this dream. The dream was told to me many years ago and I have never been able to stop thinking about it. God seems to just keep bringing it to my mind over and over again. Since it was not my own dream, my struggle has been whether or not it is my place or responsibility to share it. Up to this point, I have chosen not to openly share it, although I have shared it with a few people privately. But I think the time has come for me to share it openly. I don't know if the dream was from God. But if it was, one cannot deny the interpretation or significance of current events.

I think most of you will understand my conflicting emotions. The person who had the dream was once a very close friend of mine. She is still in CGT. At the time of the dream, she didn't want anyone to know about it. And I never told anybody for a long time. At that time, I told her I wouldn't. But I keep asking myself if I have an obligation to share it. Is this a secret God wants me to keep? Maybe I will never have a clear answer to that question.

For those of you who are still there and are reading my blog, I feel that I owe it to you to tell the dream. I now believe it was a warning. And I believe God wanted me to hear and remember the dream. I don't think it was just an unfortunate coincidence that this person, once a dear friend, chose to share the dream with me. Neither of us, at that time, could have foreseen that I would ever leave the church or that the things that are happening today would ever happen. It would have seemed stranger than fiction. But God knew.

I believe this is a crucial time. If you believe that God gives spiritual dreams, it's hard to dismiss this dream. If you are conflicted and trying to make sense of the things that are transpiring, this dream may speak to your heart. My telling it will probably make a lot of people mad. But I can no longer keep it to myself.

To my former friend who confided this dream in me, if you're reading, I love you more than you will ever believe. I have always loved you and I always will love you. I don't want to betray your confidence. I don't want to hurt you. But if this dream was from God (as you and I believed it was at the time), it is significant for many people's lives. Not just ours. Not just Steve's. Perhaps you have already shared this dream openly. And in that case, maybe it won't be a big deal that I'm sharing it. If I were still there, I would want to know about this dream. And I have always wondered if God had a purpose in my knowing about it.

The person who had the dream told me this dream took place during a time of transition. She knew this because she was living in a certain house (in the dream) where she had lived during a prior transitional time in our church. She and her husband went to an apartment where many other church members had lived. I believe she said they were going there to visit someone. When they opened the door, they saw a bloody scene of death and destruction. Everywhere they looked, it appeared as though a massacre had taken place. There was nothing but blood and human flesh everywhere, as though someone had come in with a machine gun on a killing rampage.

There were only two living men in this scene. One was Steve Farmer. He was walking around putting bloody body parts in a trash bag. The other man was sitting on a couch. In the dream, he reached into the cushions and pulled out a bloody, dismembered hand. That was the end of the dream.

This person asked me if I thought she should tell Steve the dream. I told her that she absolutely had to tell him the dream because I thought, at the time, this meant that Steve was the appointed man to clean up what I then thought of as the mess left by the former pastor. How could she not tell him? I urged her to tell him and tell him right then.

She wrote the dream down and gave it to Steve. I don't remember if we ever talked about it again. This was long before I left the church. At that time, my thinking (regarding the dream) was, "Poor Steve. What a mess." But I really had no idea. The mess was so much bigger than I knew back then.

I have now been gone for over five years. Many things have come to light that I did not know at that time. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have reflected on this dream and wondered why I know about it. And then one day, I saw something in the dream I'd never thought about previously. I'd thought Steve was going to be the man to clean everything up, heal the wounds of the past, deal with the blood that was on someone else's hands. And then it dawned on me that there was no healing in the dream. There was no restoration. There was no life. Only death and destruction and a man putting bloody parts in a bag while another man watched.

I don't know if there is any significance in the man sitting on the couch. He was just sitting there. He was once a trustee, but is not now. I wouldn't exactly describe him as having a leadership position. But part of me wonders if I should let him know he was in this dream. If I had been in a dream like this, I would want to know. What if the significance was that he was just sitting there observing, doing nothing?

This dream is too striking and disturbing for me to disregard. The dream has haunted me for years. I am still conflicted about me being the one to tell it. But I can't get rid of the feeling that I am supposed to tell the dream no matter how hard I try. So maybe God wants someone to hear it who is reading. The thing is, I have no idea who reads my blog. But God does.

Comments

Janette said…
That is a frightening and very telling dream. I think you need to tell the man sitting on the couch that he was the only one remaining and was just sitting by, watching. It just might speak to him, especially since the dream came from a trusted insider, vs. one of us on the outside that they seem to be ever-so-anxious to dismiss.
Shari said…
I really felt like I was supposed to, too, Janette. Thanks for confirming that. I wrote to the person and told him this morning. It's someone I could have called, but I wanted him to have it all in writing so they could reflect on it and not get anything mixed up. I hope he will know that I am doing this for him, and not for any hidden agenda of my own. I really struggled with the decision to share this dream. I did not do it to be a jerk. I did it because everyone deserves to know. The decisions we make at this time can never be reversed. We can repent and receive forgiveness. But there are no do-overs.

Our associate pastor spoke last night on the subject of sowing and reaping.
Shari said…
I want to add one comment. I have struggled with whether or not it was right for me to tell this dream. I started to share it once before, had a lot of anxiety and immediately deleted it from my blog. It was a very difficult decision. But ever since I wrote this post, I have felt peace about the decision I made. No regrets, no anxiety. I believe I did what I was supposed to do. Could I still be wrong? Yes. But it's unusual for me to have no anxiety over people getting upset at me. Very unusual.
Janette said…
You're struggling with the same thing I've always struggled with: Having knowledge, what is my responsibility? I don't think we're absolved of any wrong-doing by keeping quiet when we know something that can spare or warn someone else. Otherwise, Steve and Bro. Mears would be totally innocent of doing nothing when sexual abuse cases in their church were brought to their attention. We all have a deep responsibility to each other with the knowledge we gain. You're right, it isn't an accident that you found out about this dream. God knew you'd use it to warn others (even though the original dreamer is keeping it to his/her self).

Now, that responsibilty that you once held falls into the laps of those that hear it and either take action or ignore the warning. You did the right thing Shari.
Shari said…
One important thing to keep in mind is that we can't presume the person who dreamed this HAS kept it to themselves. They may very well have already shared it with others, including the other man in the dream. I hope this person already knows of their role in the dream. I do not think it's coincidence either that what he pulled out was a dismembered hand. (Dismembered being the important part.) Upon hearing this originally, I did not focus on that. I just thought "five fold ministry" when I heard it was a hand. But it's interesting to me now that I never even thought of it in terms of it being disconnected from the arm.

Secondly, another part of my struggle has been that this is just a dream. I can't know for certain that it came from God. It's hard to imagine, in light of all that has happened, it being random and coincidence. And I do believe in spiritual dreams. So I would rather consider that it may have been from God than to dismiss it as having no meaning. I think it's significant that I have never been able to stop thinking about the dream. And I think it's interesting that I was told the dream. God knew I was not staying. God knows I will speak up if I feel convicted to do so, even when unwanted personal consequences may be the end result. And God knows that if this had been my own dream, instead of someone who is still there, it would be easily dismissed because I have no credibility. I lost that a long time ago.