Healthy and Quick Eggplant Parmesan

In between more thoughtful posts, I wanted to interject this. I thought someone else might enjoy it. I just made the simplest and healthiest version of eggplant parmesan ever tonight. I didn't use a recipe. I just improvised. Here's how I made it:

Slice an eggplant to desired thickness. Dip both sides in beaten egg and then Italian bread crumbs. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with olive oil. Salt and pepper it, if desired. Bake in the oven until brown and crispy, turning once or twice. I used my convection oven at 400. While the eggplant is baking, heat some marinara sauce. I used Prego and added some fresh mushrooms. I let it come to a boil so the mushrooms would be fully cooked. When the eggplant was done, we ladeled a little sauce on top and sprinkled an Italian cheese mixture (you could also use straight mozzarella) on top, plus some extra parmesan cheese. That's it. The sauce was hot, so the cheese melted. But you could also put it under the broiler for a minute if you want it brown and bubbly.

In the past, I have gone to a lot more trouble, layering the eggplant in a baking dish like lasagna with sauce and cheese, etc. But doing it this way kept the eggplant from becoming soggy. No baking dish to wash. And the whole process is quick and easy. The finished product was not only delicious, but very healthy. So I just thought I would share!

Comments

DeeDee said…
Hey, I'm gonna try this recipe for Lucky's (at home) meat free, vegan diet. Sometimes when we eat out he does eat fish, but never at home. Your recipe looks totaly legal. We use veggie cheese (which melts) and organic ingredients. I'll let you know how we like it. Thank's Shari.

If you have any other good meat free recipes that doesn't include pasta and a lot of cheese, I'd appreciate it. We do use a little veggie cheese including parmesan. DD
Shari said…
Dee Dee, I love meatless dishes or things I can substitute ground turkey breast in. I do that with chili. But you could also use a meatless vegetable product in place of ground beef in that and many other recipes. One thing John really likes is to pour a can of cannellini beans into a bowl and cover it with canned diced tomatoes (usually the ones with Italian seasoning, but you could add fresh basil and other herbs yourself if they don't make that in organic). He sometimes adds a little marinara to it, too. Then he just heats it in the microwave. Can Lucky have the ingredients in my thousand island dressing? I can send you that recipe. It would sure make his salads taste better!
DeeDee said…
What are the ingredients?
Shari said…
The base is mayo and ketchup, and it is full of finely diced fresh veggies. But it does have hard boiled egg and sweet pickles in it. I remembered after I asked. Probably too much sugar, huh? Bad idea. :(
Anonymous said…
You should put your chicken salad recipe on here...YUMMMMM!

You know me.