The Discipline of Grace

I just started a new book this morning. "The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness."

I am pressed for time this morning, and still I could hardly put the book down. I can't wait to write about it; especially after attending Betty Jackson's Bible study yesterday on having peace of mind in a troubled world. She inspired me to crucify my flesh through the blood of Jesus. I had a wonderful lunch with friends after her class. And when I got home, I did not want to have the TV on in the background (as I am so prone to do). I finished "The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment" last night. It was a thought-provoking book, but I did not feel any inspiration to write. Probably because it was late.

This morning I woke up extremely tired, for some reason. I looked at my "to read next" stack of books, trying to decide which one to start. And I thought that "The Discipline of Grace" would be a good one to read while going through Miss Betty's (as we affectionately call her) class the next few weeks.

I am a little rushed because I'm going to spend today with Rebecca and the kids and need to get out of here by a certain time. But I will share one short quote from the first chapter of this book and I will definitely write more later. There are several other passages I'm eager to share, but they would require a lot of typing and I have to get going. I thought this was a great quote to always keep in mind while we are trying to break free from self and live a life that glorifies God in all our circumstances:

"Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace."

This is from Miss Betty's study yesterday:

We are on a journey, none of us have arrived.
We are those who are coming closer to God,
getting further and further separated from sin and the world,
receiving more and more of God into our beings.
This is what the revelation of the Cross does for us!

Have a great day! (I know I will!)

Comments

Janette said…
Is Betty in your church? I wish I lived closer to you - I'd LOVE to join you for your Bible studies and book discussions (as well as the delicious food I know you prepare).

As always, thanks for sharing your insights on the books you read. I so enjoy the excerpt version and then your take because there's so many books and only so much time...
Shari said…
Hey Janette! Good to know you're still reading! : )

Betty Jackson is Allen's mother. She and his dad, George, founded the church about about 28 years ago, give or take. The church started with 25 people in a home prayer gathering. Betty also has an amazing testimony. She was healed completely of terminal cancer when her boys were young.

George and Betty spend six months of the year ministering to the Jewish people in Jerusalem. The other six months they spend in M'boro. They are wonderful Christian examples. Two of their sons have spent their adult lives in WOC. Allen, the oldest, is our pastor. Phillip is a praise and worship pastor. Their youngest brother is a pastor in Ohio.

Betty does a Wed. morning (and Tues. night) Bible study often when she's home. This is the first time I've gone, although I have intended to go many times. It starts at 10:00. You are welcome to come any time. You don't have to sign up and be at every one. You can decide to do it spontaneously.

As far as my small group, we get together at my house most Tuesday evenings at 6:00. I cook. We eat. We discuss the book we're reading and whatever that leads to. It's very laid back. If you ever want to drop in, you have a standing invitation. I would love for you to meet my friends and vice versa!

Hey, I know what! Just move to the Boro! I guaranted you'd love it here. It's the best place I have ever lived! (Of course, that could have something to do with John, too!) Ha!

Love you!
Shari said…
I just noticed all my typos but since I'm reading about the discipline of grace, I'm going to leave them rather than delete them. ; )

I'm not perfect. I'm not perfect. I'm not perfect.
Anonymous said…
I like Jerry Bridges. I read "The Pursuit of Holiness" and it was very good, yet very convicting at the same time. Pretty sure I even returned it to Danny when I was finished.

I have not read this book, it sounds good too. Look forward to some of your outtakes.

God bless,

Todd E.
Janette said…
Thanks for the invites, Shari! I WILL take you up on one or two of them as soon as this semester is over. I have to take the summer off of school because none of the classes I need are offered so that will probably be an excellent time to get in on some of these Bible studies and book groups.

And I'm proud of you for leaving the typos. I know that has to be very difficult for you. LOL
Janette said…
Hey, what do you mean you're glad I'm still reading?! I'm your biggest fan! I check daily (and sometimes a few times a day) for new posts. :)
Janette said…
BTW (sorry for all the posts) ~ Betty sounds a lot like Pastor Hardwick's wife, Montelle. She was amazing and I miss her terribly! They are two of the Godliest people I know, as well as Pastor's new wife, Carol. Truly servants of God with hearts of gold (although I know you'll take exception with that statement).

I'll look forward to meeting Ms. Betty. :)
Shari said…
Now, you know, only a few people reading are going to understand that comment about me taking exception to that! LOL. I don't have a problem with that statement. Only the concept (which elevates man) of any of us having a pure heart or being born inately good. Any good whatsoever that can be found of us is through the grace of God and Christ in us! And as we are transformed more and more into His image, I believe that His love can turn a human heart into a heart of gold (so to speak). Although, I would not put myself in that category at this stage of my growth. But someday, I hope it will be so!
Janette said…
Jeremiah 17:9: The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

You've discussed the above passage on this blog before, haven't you? If not, I know we've talked about it thoroughly in person.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I used to think man can overcome all sin with a desperately wicked heart. When Jesus died on the cross and became Jesus Christ murderer, it wasn't only for the cold-blooded killer but it was for ME in the past when I've wished someone dead. When He became Jesus Christ adulterar, it wasn't just for the man or woman that cheated on their spouse, it was for me when I'd look with lust at another man that wasn't my husband. I didn't have to be guilty of the act to be guilty of the sin. Because my heart is more desperately wicked than I can possibly know, His blood shed on the cross covers the sin I didn't used to think I was guilty of. How wrong I was! I'm guilty every single day and am thankful his mercy is new every morning. I'm so in awe and deep appreciation of the sacrifice He made for me on that cross. I didn't appreciate it when I didn't think I was a sinner. How tragic!