Speaking of weight issues...

In my last post I was using physical weight as an analogy. Wow, is that ever timely for me right now! Not long ago I was so motivated and watching my bad carbs so carefully. It doesn't take long to reverse the momentum. I have been hovering between 127 and 129 for a while, which seems to be ideal for me. But after a week of indulging almost daily, I find myself back up to 131 this morning. And I have worked out nearly every day. I never slack up on my exercise.

Ugh. It's so frustrating.

I hear two things consistently from friends. Either it's "Well, you obviously don't have to worry about your weight. You can eat anything you want and stay so thin," OR "Why do you even worry about five pounds? I can't tell the difference when you've gained or when you've lost."

Well, I feel the difference whether it's visible or not. But if I didn't continually struggle with these same five pounds, it wouldn't be long before it was ten pounds, fifteen pounds, twenty pounds, and so on. I love to eat and if I let myself, I could be very heavy in no time. And I DO have to work at maintaining my weight. One week of throwing caution to the wind and I've put on several pounds. The only reason I battle five pounds instead of ten or twenty is that I weigh every morning and make myself face the consequences of eating everything I want too many days in a row! And the battle never ends.

I also have cholesterol issues. Mine tends to be a little high in spite of regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight. My dad had triple by-pass surgery a little over a year ago. What he went through didn't look too appealing to me. I hope I never have to go through it. And I'm pretty realistic about this. I don't ever think anything can't happen to me. Four people close to me have a chronic, incurable disease presently. I know that being in overall good health is a big plus when a diagnosis comes. And, for most of us, some kind of diagnosis will be inevitable if we live long enough. It's very unwise to take our health for granted. But even as I preach on this, what I'm wanting to do right now is bake peanut butter cookies. So again I say, "Ugh!" And the struggle goes on...

I don't think I'm going to get to see the kids today, after all. They have been sick all week and, as of last night, still fighting to get well. I wanted to see them so bad, but I also don't want to get sick. So I guess I can wait a few more days!

Comments