Chapter 20 - Prayer and Me

Early in this chapter, I drew a mental parallel between the thought Yancey was attempting to convey and a children's book I read to Joshua. The children's book is about little monkeys who go shopping with their mama.

Yancey is writing about "tuning in" to God and he gives examples of all the things we let fill up all the spaces in our days. He writes, "I enter a motel room and switch on the television. I have CNN going when I eat lunch and the radio playing when I drive the car. I'm always reading a newspaper, magazine, computer manual, Internet blog, something. I fill up spaces."

He goes on to discuss ears that do not hear. "Any parent knows about ears that hear not. 'But I didn't hear you,' a child protests, after clear instructions not to wander beyond the driveway. A revealing comparison, it occurs to me, for we often fail to 'hear' God's clear commands."

It was the wandering comment that reminded me of the book about little monkeys not listening to their mama. In this story, the mama says over and over to her little monkeys, "Stay right here and don't go wandering off." She says it over and over. But the little monkeys never listen. And over and over throughout the story, she is looking for her lost little monkeys because they have wandered off.

It occurred to me that I am so like the monkeys in the children's story. Not only do I let mindless things fill up the spaces of my life and fail to listen, I am also prone to wander off -- even if only in my thoughts.

Yancey discusses the proven therapeutic benefits of prayer in this chapter, but points out that "Any therapeutic value to Christian prayer comes as an outgrowth, not a goal. As Jesus promised, the fruit will grow if we remain attached to the vine. Our job is to remain attached, to 'abide.'"

Yancey also touches on fear, anxiety, impatience and trying to stop time in this chapter. But on this particular night, I feel most like the little monkey who is easily distracted. I am so thankful that God never stops pursuing me and drawing me to Him.

Comments