A short update on lifestyle changes

I just checked old posts to refresh my memory of when I actually started eating differently. It was October 2. So I'm approaching the two month mark.

My lowest weight since then was 126.0 and I think I was only at that number one or two days. But this morning I weighed 127.0. So I have maintained a loss of 8 1/2 pounds through the week of Thanksgiving.

I did not go without my favorite foods. But I definitely ate differently. For example, I had only one yeast roll with dinner. But that was all I really wanted. The day after Thanksgiving, I had a turkey sandwich on a yeast roll for lunch and then again for dinner. But only one for each meal. I would normally have had two both times because they're small. I ate small portions of the leftovers twice on Friday, but have not wanted any since. We have a trip coming up and I don't want to gain any weight back because I know we'll be eating some great meals while we're gone.

I'm learning to limit high glycemic index foods and making sure I eat them with low glycemic index foods when I do have them (to slow my body's insulin response). Since I am almost as interested in health and fitness as I am passionate about food, I ordered a stack of books on this subject from Amazon (probably overkill) and I'm becoming quite an expert. But that's helped me a great deal because I understand why I will be leaner and healthier as a result of making different choices (not just doing portion control). I keep talking about it because I cannot believe how easy it has been to stay at this weight. In the past, I could never maintain 127 for very long. My body seems to like being 130-132. I weighed 132 when I was 16. But eating differently seems to have changed my "comfortable" body weight. And that is really exciting to me.

Since I'm eating more eggs lately, I started buying the very high quality eggs (no hormones, antibiotics and high omega 3's). I actually had a poached egg and an orange for lunch and enjoyed it! I am determined not to gain weight over the holidays.

I hope to get back to posting about the book this week. Chapter 12 did not inspire me to write anything and we had out of town company all week. So I took a break.

Comments