Diet Update

I woke up this morning thinking there is no way I will lose weight today. I keep expecting to reach a plateau. There have been a couple of days that I went up a pound over the last two weeks. But then it disappeared again the next day. So I was preparing myself for one of those days. I got on the scale this morning and I was down to 127.6. That means I have lost 8 pounds in 16 days. And I only stayed on phase one for the first 8 or 9 days. I ate great meals over the weekend and even had a few bites of dessert. But other than that, I have really avoided sugar and starchy foods. I feel like I have found a key.

My goal is 125 and I realize now that I can maintain that weight through this way of eating. I am 5' 4" with a small frame. That is not too thin if I'm eating healthy, which I am. I am actually eating much healthier than I was before the diet. I'm not trying to be a swimsuit model. I'm 48 and a grandma. But I want to be a young and healthy grandma.

As we age, we will encounter health issues. It's just a part of the aging process. And it is much easier to treat disease in an otherwise overall healthy individual than one who has neglected their health for years. I can't believe I will be 50 in less than two years. It seems like it has come so fast. My cholesterol is a little high these days and I can't imagine what it would be if I didn't exercise and keep my weight down. I don't want to take drugs. Fortunately, my HDL is also high and I want to keep it that way.

There was a doctor on Oprah this week who was addressing women's health issues in middle age. She said that as a woman approaches perimenopause and menopause she will HAVE to pay attention to bad carbs if she doesn't want to gain weight. She talked about avoiding high glycemic index foods. This is exactly what I've been doing on South Beach. She talked about keeping your blood sugar stable throughout the day and how important that is. You don't want to eat foods that trigger a surge of insulin production. This is exactly what I've been learning and experiencing. And the results are convincing.

I went to Don Pablo the other day for lunch with a friend. I did not eat one chip. I would normally have a basket full. I ordered a taco salad my way: romaine lettuce, chicken fajitas, black beans, pico, diced avocado and salsa. No cruncy shell, no guacamole or sour cream. I could have had cheese, but pre-grated cheese doesn't really add much flavor in my opinion, so I skipped it. It was delicious and I did not feel like I had been deprived in the least. Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't do well with feeling food deprived. But I never feel that way on this diet. My cravings for the things I thought I couldn't live without are gone.

Does that mean I will never enjoy some sourdough bread dipped in olive oil again? Heavens, no. But I won't have it every day as a snack like I did before. Will I have pizza again? You bet I will! But I probably won't eat six slices like I have on many other occasions. What has made the biggest difference in my thinking is learning how my body and blood chemistry react to these kinds of foods and why they put unwanted weight on my mid-section.

I just want to add one thing. I am sharing all of this in detail hoping to encourage even one person reading this to make lifestyle changes that will enhance their life and health. We make investments all the time that may or may not ever pay off. Sure, we could get hit by a bus tomorrow or get cancer whether or not we've made good choices. But I have never regretted any investment I have made in staying young and healthy. I started exercising at the age of 31 and I know that investment has kept me younger and healthier than I would have been without it. That is far more important to me than what size I wear. But I get to feel good about that, too.

Comments