Chapter 7 - Wrestling Match

In this chapter, Yancey explores the subject of arguing with God. He cites many biblical examples of those (mostly in the OT) who engaged with God through arguing, bargaining, challenging and negotiating. His point is that this is the opposite of indifference and demonstrates a real relationship. I agree with him that we should fully engage with God even through our questions and frustrations. But there was one statement that went too far, in my opinion. Yancey quotes Abraham Heshcel, a Jewish student of the Prophets, as saying, "Man should never capitulate, even to the Lord." I strongly disagree.

I don't think I have ever argued with God. I do remember feeling very frustrated with Him at one specific difficult time in my life. This one instance is the only time I remember even being close to feeling mad at God. I remember feeling angry that He created me the way I was and then expected me to be different. I was very young and immature.

I have never been indifferent toward God. But I don't argue with Him, I don't get mad at Him and I really don't even question Him. I ask for mercy, help, forgiveness. And I thank Him. I know a lot of Christians have had to overcome their anger at God over losses and disappointments in their lives. And I do not feel superior to anyone who has felt this way, believe me. It's just not the way I react. So I found it a little difficult to relate to the theme of this chapter. I sometimes wonder if I am really odd in this respect or if there are others who feel the way I do. I just can't imagine questioning the Creator of the universe, as though He owes me an explanation for anything. There are many things I don't understand, but my comfort is in knowing that He knows all and in all He has a purpose.

Comments