Reading on a Rainy Day

Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them TogetherI am reading a book recommended to me by a friend. The book is "Same Kind of Different As Me" by Ron Hall and Denver Moore.

I'm only 38% of the way through it (I know precisely how far I am in the book because I'm reading the Kindle version), but it has already touched me so much that it has stolen me away from the other books I was simultaneously reading. My favorites always do that. There will be one of three or sometimes four that I won't be able to put down and will wind up reading it all the way through before I get back to the others. Some books just grab your heart and this is one of them.

This is the book's description:
Meet Denver, a man raised under plantation-style slavery in Louisiana in the 1960s; a man who escaped, hopping a train to wander, homeless, for eighteen years on the streets of Dallas, Texas. No longer a slave, Denver's life was still hopeless-until God moved. First came a godly woman who prayed, listened, and obeyed. And then came her husband, Ron, an international arts dealer at home in a world of Armani-suited millionaires. And then they all came together.

But slavery takes many forms. Deborah discovers that she has cancer. In the face of possible death, she charges her husband to rescue Denver. Who will be saved, and who will be lost? What is the future for these unlikely three? What is God doing?

Same Kind of Different As Me is the emotional tale of their story: a telling of pain and laughter, doubt and tears, dug out between the bondages of this earth and the free possibility of heaven. No reader or listener will ever forget it.

Less than halfway through this book, I felt compelled to buy the audio version for John (he only listens to books on CD while he drives). His birthday is Friday. He is difficult to buy for. And what he really wants, I can't afford to buy for him. (A 1959 Les Paul.)

This is the kind of book you want to share. And I highly recommend it to you.

This quote resonated with me in a deeply personal way this morning:

"I cannot see into a person's heart to know his spiritual condition.
All I can do is tell the jagged tale of my own spiritual journey
and declare that my life has been the better for having followed Christ."
~ Ron Hall

Comments