Quick Update...

It's been a crazy, hectic week and I have not had time to sit down and write on my blog.

However, I did want to post a quick update for those of you who are checking back to see how things are going.

Lillian is scheduled for ct scans Thursday and an out-patient biopsy on Friday. I'm not sure how long it will take to get the biopsy results. But what they find out will determine the course of treatment.

I am feeling much better than I was last Thursday night. Sometimes we try so hard to be strong that we wind up internalizing our emotions without even realizing it. Because I'm so expressive and open, a lot of people would probably not see me as someone who internalizes. But I do. I just don't do it consciously. I don't decide to stuff my feelings and I don't have a need to hide my struggles from anyone. It usually happens when I'm trying to be strong for someone else.

It's only when that emotion is triggered (and it feels like a dam has burst) that you realize you've been internalizing a bit too much. For me, this usually means tears. But tears aren't all bad. By Saturday night I was bouncing back. And the last three days have been therapeutic in many ways.

Just wanted to let you know that -- once again -- I've survived and thrived. God is good.

Comments

Ron Turrentine said…
Shari - Since you posted my YouTube link on your blog, I've discovered your wonderful page and have been reading. I'm enjoying your writing very much! Thank you for your candor, your insights and your willingness to be so open & vulnerable for your readers. It's a risk that few are willing to take, but one that is appreciated by this ol' guy.

As you're well aware, so many of us who grew up in the environment that we shared feel robbed of a youth we never fully experienced, and there's unfortunately "no going back." I don't harbor resentment any more, though; I've certainly no mind to allow cancerous weeds like that in my garden (although I once did). I just pray that my own children & grandchildren enjoy their youth - or at least what youth that they still have to enjoy. And they can thankfully do just that, and still experience a strong and meaningful relationship with Christ. Much thanks to the Lord for *that* truth.

May God bless you & your family. I'm thankful for you, and am happy to call you a friend.

Ron
Shari said…
Ron, I am thankful and happy to call you my friend too! Thank you for commenting on my blog.

I have to comment on this statement:

"...And they can thankfully do just that, and still experience a strong and meaningful relationship with Christ. Much thanks to the Lord for *that* truth."

Yes! What freedom to finally know that truth! I (we) did miss out on enjoying a lot of normal, wholesome, youthful experiences. But the freedom in Christ that I enjoy today is that much sweeter because I wasn't always free. And I am also very thankful that my grandchildren will never be able to relate to that oppression.

One day as adults they will probably read their Grandma Shari's book. But they won't relate to my experiences growing up. They will be raised knowing grace and the promise of eternal life, and what the cross really means for us who belong to Jesus! I rejoice inside every time I think about that.

I believe every part of my life has had a purpose. Someone on FB today quoted this verse to me (in reference to my writing). I loved it. I believe it's one of the biggest reasons for all the things God has allowed to be part of my journey:

2 Corinthians 1:4 (NIV)

4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

Thanks again for commenting, Ron. I'm glad to know you've enjoyed reading!