Bring the Rain (Mercy Me)

More than once, someone's reaction to reading my testimony has been, "I kept asking myself why you didn't turn away from God as a result of all you've gone through." And the line in this song that touches on that question caught my attention yesterday as I was listening to the radio. In recent months, I have not been thinking much about what I've been through in the past. Writing the book has helped me to process and purge so many experiences and so much emotion. From the feedback I've received, it has done that for others as well. The responses I've received from readers have been so therapeutic and rewarding. I know God has had a purpose in everything I have ever gone through. Without my struggles, I would not have a testimony of triumph and overcoming.

However, I can honestly say that I never blamed God for painful events. I expect difficulties in life. I have not understood everything I've faced, but I'm not a person who has to have an answer to every question or everything I don't understand. I have always believed that behind every painful experience there was a greater purpose, a reason for what I was going through that God knew, even if I didn't. I never wanted to turn my back on Him because I was disappointed by people or circumstances. And that was an important message I wanted to convey in my book, that there is nothing: no circumstances, no life, no person that God cannot redeem.

I'm in a resting period right now. I've had a lot of great days lately. And yesterday was no exception. After having lunch with a group of friends, I was running a few errands; Sam's, Walmart, the bank, the cleaners. As I drove from place to place, I was thinking about how much I love the people in my life and how much I appreciate their love for me. I was thinking about the beautiful sunshine, how good the warm spring weather felt, and how happy I was to be wearing sandals again. I was soaking it all in. I was savoring the big things and the little things I appreciate in my life. Savoring moments is something I do a lot these days. I take nothing for granted.

Although I am enjoying a period of sunshine right now, I know there will be more rain in my future. I'm not asking for it. I'm not looking forward to it. But I will trust the One who made a way for me and praise Him..."My only shelter from the storm."

"Bring the Rain"

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You?
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain?
So I pray

Holy, holy, holy
Is the Lord God Almighty

Comments