And so it goes...

What did I tell you? Although I was down three pounds Friday morning, I am up two by Monday morning. Oh well, the struggle continues. For those of you who have seen me eat and think I don't have to work at keeping my weight down, think again.

I had the most wonderful meal at Parthenon Grille Saturday night. We shared a smoked salmon appetizer with soft pita bread triangles, mascarpone cheese and a little side of dill sauce (for me). I had a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, bread dipped in herbed olive oil, and a garlic and olive oil linguine with shrimp and scallops. I normally have the Parthenon Dip appetizer (rich cream sauce loaded with mushrooms, onions, artichokes, spinach and feta cheese) along with fried pita triangles. So I thought I had done a little better than usual. But I found a way to make up the difference in calories I had saved.

Along with the new building and the new dinner menu, Parthenon has a new menu of specialty drinks. I am not much of a drinker. I like Riesling wines, frozen margaritas and an occasional sweet specialty drink. But other than wine with dinner on Saturday nights, I don't regularly consume alcohol. It's more like a splurge. However, when I read a description of something that really sounds good, I know I will eventually have to try it. And the Chocolate Strawberry Martini had caught my eye (as a dessert). As we were finishing dinner, I told our friend and server, Kevin, that one of these days I would have to try one. And John said, "Go ahead and have one and I will finish your glass of wine." So what do you think I said? "Okay!"

As a result, I did not sleep well and I carried that full feeling all the way into mid-afternoon yesterday. I can't imagine how people drink to excess. I felt lousy most of the day because of that one additional drink. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't worth it. The good thing is, now that I've tried it, I probably won't be tempted to have it again. I just have this weakness for tasting things. Ask anyone who has eaten a meal with me. If you offer me a bite from your plate, you'd better be serious because I won't turn you down if it looks good.

I worked out for an hour yesterday and never did feel hungry until late afternoon. But for dinner we had a pork tenderloin roast that cooked all day in the crock pot, along with garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and steamed asparagus. I didn't overeat and I didn't have any calories in my beverage. But it still wasn't a low calorie meal. So here I am two pounds heavier than I was Friday and it's time to start being as good as I can for at least the next five days. (But everything was worth the pounds except the chocolate martini.)

For the first 43 years of my life, alcohol was strictly forbidden. I didn't even drink wine until I broke free from those roots. So when I first tasted the freedom of making my own choices, I would order a drink just because I could. It was kind of like being 21 for most people. And then the novelty of that wore off. Though I no longer believe that it's wrong to have an alcoholic beverage, I'm so thankful that my biggest temptation is still good food. And it is the "tasting" of certain fun drinks that appeals to me rather than feeling the "effects" of alcohol. I can see where alcohol would be a huge problem for someone who craved both.

Comments