Day Two of Round Two

Today went well. John has not been sick yet, but since we already know nausea is a side effect for him, he decided to start taking Zofran tonight (every 12 hours) to make sure he got ahead of it this time. Last time his last treatment was Friday and the severe nausea set in mid-day Saturday. Zofran does not cause drowsiness, so he can drive.

Since Day Two and Day Three are much shorter infusion times, we decided to go in the afternoon. That way John can go to the dealership in the mornings and then just come home and rest after receiving his infusions. I went to my Bible Study this morning and was glad I didn't have to miss it. I am enjoying it so much and the message is quite timely for me right now.

It's hard for John to know if he'll feel like eating or what he'll feel like eating ahead of time while getting the chemo. And he doesn't really like to smell food cooking. So last night and tonight we just stopped and ate on the way home. Of course, this does not bother me one bit. We went to J. Alexander's last night and Chop House tonight.

Our appt. tomorrow is again at 2:00. So John will go to the dealership in the morning if he feels okay and I will do something mundane like laundry. Then we will head to Nashville for the last day of Round Two. Only four more rounds to go after tomorrow. And so far, so good. All of his counts are holding steady and none of them have dropped dangerously low yet. Some of you reading this know how good these counts are. Today (after getting F, C, R and L yesterday) John's counts were:

WBC 5.9
ALC 1 (16.8%)
Neutrophils 4.4
RBC 4.14
HGB 13.3
HCT 38.2%
Platelets 173

I know it is likely they will eventually go lower, but at the same time I am thankful they haven't tanked early on. It means that he is tolerating treatment well thus far. I fully attribute that to prayer.

I just have a feeling this weekend won't be anything like that first treatment weekend. John says he is very tired and feels "weird," but other than that his most annoying health issue by far is his raging reflux. I don't know what in the world we are going to do about that.

And now I need to go work out because I am eating a little too well this week.

Comments

WallStreet07 said…
Shari: I just read your post on Johns second treatment, and I guess nausea is just part of the process, even though it is very bad. We still Pray for him, AND for you for God to give you strength to cope and help him. Deanna is a lot better, but, the sutures hurt her neck pretty bad. I think Tuesday is the day they come out. Hoping she does much better with the free flowing blood. Tell Danny helo, and his family. We love all you, and continue in Prayer for you. God Bless:Larry
WallStreet07 said…
Shari: I just read your post on Johns second treatment, and I guess nausea is just part of the process, even though it is very bad. We still Pray for him, AND for you for God to give you strength to cope and help him. Deanna is a lot better, but, the sutures hurt her neck pretty bad. I think Tuesday is the day they come out. Hoping she does much better with the free flowing blood. Tell Danny helo, and his family. We love all you, and continue in Prayer for you. God Bless:Larry