Day Three of Round Two

Today was John's last day of treatment for round two. We have a follow up visit with Dr. Flinn a week from Tuesday, then more treatment the first week of November. Two down, four to go.

John is holding up well. He is taking anti-nausea medicine orally to ward off a repeat performance of round one. He says he feels completely wiped out and he seems pretty lifeless. But he ate dinner (pizza sounded good to him) and he is not sick. He says that occasionally he'll have a wave of intermittent nausea, but it doesn't last long. His numbers were still good today before his last infusion.

We are settled in for a restful night of watching new shows on TV. There are several we like on Thursday nights right now. I'm looking forward to The Office (The Wedding). And I have really gotten into Flash Forward.

I got my lab results today. My cholesterol is high, just as I anticipated. But my ratio is good. My total is 284. My LDL (bad) is 183 and my HDL (good) is 72. The fact that my HDL is so high makes my ratio good in spite of the other high numbers. I know there are dietary changes I can make to help. And I have been very haphazard about taking my Omega Three Fish Oil capsules lately. Some days I remember and others I do not. I'm going to get back to being faithful with those and also start taking the cholesterol supplement (with policosanol) that lowered my cholesterol significantly the first time my blood came back high. The supplement lowered it from 256 to 217 within a matter of months. I don't want to take drugs when I know it would help for me to simply eat right.

I went ahead and had pizza for dinner, but I went with veggies only. I know what I really need to do is get back to eating a low-glycemic diet. I'm convinced it is absolutely the healthiest way to eat. But I love many bad foods and I have controlled my weight so well with exercise that I have never developed the same discipline with my eating. Well, now that I am fifty years old I can't afford to ignore the health ramifications of my eating habits. I'm going to try my best to avoid fried foods and saturated fat. I am already very conscious of trans fats and don't eat red meat on a regular basis. But I love fried appetizers and rich, creamy sauces/soups/dips.

My WBC was 5.1. So I don't have CLL. I have been so tired that I really was wondering if that might show up (considering my dad has it, John's mom has it, and I have learned it is often familial). Fatigue is the most common symptom. But I guess I'm just getting older. : )

Comments