Another long day...

John has not felt good today. He has only come out of the bedroom to take his medications. He mentioned banana cake the other day, so I told him I would bake one. I asked him if he thought he'd be able to eat chicken noodle soup if I made some and he thought he would. So I made soup and baked a loaf of herb bread. He had to close the bedroom door so that he wouldn't smell it while I was cooking.

I just went in to check on him to see if he was getting hungry and he said, "not really." He doesn't complain, but he looks so miserable. After a minute or two, he said, "Did you leave the door open? I can smell it." I said "sorry" and left, closing the door behind me. There is nothing I can do and I realize it. I guess the best thing I can do for him is just leave him alone and hope he is able to fall asleep.

A person like me doesn't know what to do when cooking doesn't help.

Just as I was posting this, John emerged from our room and ate a bowl of soup. But he couldn't eat the bread because the herbs didn't taste good to him. I've read that the chemo really affects your taste buds. I wasn't expecting him to feel this bad with the anti-nausea meds. If it follows the same course as the last time, tomorrow could be harder than today. And after that he should start to feel better.

Comments