Unexpected Blessings

I have to take a break from proofreading my printed manuscript to share the details about last night.

John and I have had the great privilege to become friends with Charlie and Hazel Daniels after going to Israel together last November. Even though we attend the same church, we had never met Charlie and Hazel, or their family, prior to that trip. Getting to know them--all of them--was a real treat for us. Finer, more genuine people you will not meet. I can assure you of that. They are warm, down to earth, caring, generous. I can't say enough good about them. But for the purpose of this blog post, I'll leave it at that.

When I reluctantly asked Charlie if he would have any interest in writing the foreword for my book, I feared I might be imposing on him and his kindness. I made it clear that I had no expectations and my feelings would not be hurt if he were just too busy to even consider it. I was literally shocked when he responded that he'd be honored to write the foreward and to send him the manuscript. You could have peeled me off the ceiling that day. Then I worried that he'd read the book and change his mind. John said, "If that happens, I'll have to get you a room in a psych ward for a few days until you recover." LOL. I said, "No kidding." But that didn't happen. Charlie said he enjoyed reading my book and he wrote a lovely foreword for me (a portion of that foreward is on the book's website).

About a month ago, I emailed Charlie to tell him that we were coming to see him perform at The Wild Horse in Nashville on the 27th. John always buys concert tickets front and center, so I told Charlie I was sure we would at least be able to smile and wave to him on stage. Yesterday I called Hazel to see if she would be there and she said she wasn't going to make it. They are on the road so much, I completely understood why she would want to take the night off and enjoy being at home. She asked me how John was doing and I told her that he's doing okay, but he is going to have to start chemo soon and we're obviously not excited about that.

I have been so open lately about John's CLL (even writing about it on my blog) that I forgot we had never told Charlie and Hazel about John's diagnosis of two years ago. When we went to Israel last November, John still wasn't that comfortable bringing it up or talking about it. Only family and a few close friends knew what was going on. I probably stunned Hazel a bit with my announcement about chemo, but she didn't question me; she just told me to give John their love and they'd be praying for him.

Back to last night...
We arrived at The Wild Horse and found our table. I am always amazed at the seats John gets, even after having great seats time and time again. Our table was right up against center stage. And when I say center, I mean that when Charlie looked straight down, he was looking into our smiling faces. We didn't expect to go back stage or talk to him personally. We were just looking forward to a great show. Charlie is an amazingly talented musician and entertainer.

When Charlie came out, he looked down and saw John. I don't think he was expecting us to be that close. His eyes widened and he grinned. He came onto the stage playing his fiddle and he just very spontaneously tossed his bow in John's direction. It was fun. And it's a good thing he tossed it to John because I'm not that coordinated. I wouldn't have caught it and might possibly have lost an eye in the process of awkwardly trying.

A little later in the show, one of the stage guys (he looked like Charlie's right hand man or stage manager--but I'm sure they go WAY back as friends as well) came over to the edge of the stage, bent down and handed John a note from Charlie (written on an envelope filled with personalized guitar picks). He wanted John to know he was going to be praying for him. I was really touched by that and I know John was as well. He had written the note off stage while one of the band members was performing a solo.

The concert was fantastic. And then to top it off, Charlie received some songwriter awards from BMI that he hadn't even known he was getting that night. It was a complete surprise to him. BMI keeps track of how many times a songwriter's song is performed. Charlie got awards for the millionth performance of three songs. Then he got an award for the four-millionth performance of The Devil Went Down to Georgia. So, in all, seven million performances of four of his songs. I guess this is one reason why he's considered a legend.

When the show came to a close, two very unexpected things happened. The drummer (who was amazing, by the way) walked up to me and handed me his drum sticks from the evening. That's something that has never happened to me regardless of how close our seats have ever been. And then we were invited by the same man who delivered the note to come back stage. He said Charlie would love to visit with us if we wanted to come back. Wow. I certainly did not expect an invitation like that.

We went back stage and sat with Charlie in the dressing room. So many people were wanting to see him and talk with him. I almost felt guilty to take up any of his precious time. I also knew he had to be worn out from the performance because he really gives his all on stage. But he assured us several times that he wanted to be doing exactly what he was doing. John asked if he wanted his bow back and he said no, he did not. He wanted us to keep it. (I was hoping that's what he'd say.)

We got to see Dean (who has been with Charlie and driven his bus for so many years that he's a part of their family). Dean and his son also went on the Israel trip with us last fall. And we hadn't seen him for months. So I was happy to be able to give him a hug and say hi. We also got to meet Paula. She handles advertising, promotion and publicity for Charlie and has been with him for years and years (over thirty, if I'm remembering correctly). She was so sweet. I have yet to meet anyone connected to Charlie who isn't warm, kind, gracious and down to earth.

We shared with Charlie a few more details about John's CLL and his upcoming treatment. John pointed out his very swollen lymph nodes and told him he hasn't been feeling well, but that we expect to get good results from treatment and a long remission. Charlie assured us of his continued prayers.

Charlie told Paula about my book and that he'd written "a little blurb" (as he always calls the foreword) for me. She asked me some questions about it and seemed genuinely interested in reading it. I always feel honored that anyone would have an interest in reading my testimony. I don't presume that my life would be of interest to just anyone and everyone.

On the way home, John was saying how interesting life is and how amazingly God works out details in our lives for His purposes. He was expressing that I should never question whether or not God has been with me in writing and publishing this book because of the doors He alone has--that only He could have--opened. I was saying how much it means to me that Charlie was willing to write my foreword. And John said, "Yeah, who would have guessed when I was a fan of Charlie's and going to see him in concert for the first time in Evansville, back in the seventies, that we would wind up going to the same church thirty years later and take a trip to Israel together; that I would be married to the love of my life, who just happened to grow up in a cult and write a book about her life; that Charlie would write the foreword to my wife's book and we would be sitting back stage visiting with him after a show in Nashville?" (He had started out very seriously, but by the end we wound up laughing. I always joke with him that if he had known everything that's in my book back when we first met, he might have been afraid to even date me!)

We made other dear friendships on the Israel trip, too. You just wouldn't know the names of the other very special friends we made on that trip. But the neatest part of it all is how God worked out the timing of when we would go and what He would accomplish through our going on that particular trip (both spiritually and relationally).

I had a desire to go to Israel with the church long before John did. He didn't see how he could go for many years because of his business obligations. I mentioned a few times that I would love to go. And I even pointed out once or twice that we shouldn't put it off too long because we are both getting older and our health and longevity are not promised to us. I really wanted us to make that trip together and be in good health when we went. But I wanted God to put a desire in John's heart to go. I didn't just want him to go FOR me or because I put pressure on him to go. So I tried to plant a few seeds for thought, but then I backed off and just waited. And God did put the desire in John's heart to go (sooner than I expected). He made the decision that we were going on the November trip, then told me we were going. We didn't have any idea Charlie and his family were going on the same trip until after we'd reserved our spot. His presence on this trip had nothing to do with our decision to go. It was just a very pleasant surprise.

God added several very dear friends to our lives and deepened other existing friendships through our trip to Israel, just as He is responsible for bringing John and me together a little over six years ago. I don't believe in coincidences. I believe in the sovereignty of God. And I'm very thankful that God's plan for our lives included the dear friendships of Charlie Daniels and his wonderful family.

I know I say this frequently at the end of many blog posts. But it's true. I am so very blessed. I have so much to be thankful for. Along with my blessings, there are certainly still challenges in my life (like John's CLL and the uncertainty of our days here on earth). But in the constant reality of God's faithfulness to us, even in my darkest days, I can never question certain things that have been undeniably proven to me again and again throughout my life:

God is faithful.
He loves me.
He is working all things for my good.
I can trust Him.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Shari,

You truly ARE blessed..I am so glad our paths have crossed in this life...whatever the circumstances.:) God truly has a plan for each and everyone of us...I too, do not believe in coinsidence. Since becoming closer to you over these past few years, my thoughts have been provoked to seek a deeper understanding, commitment and desire to seek his perfect will in my life.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!
j
Anonymous said…
I didn't mean to post anonymous.....wrong button I guess...
Shari said…
I know who "j" is. : ) Thanks, Janelle. I appreciate you. I really want to get together soon.