Five years ago today...

Five years ago today I married the man of my dreams. I have been reliving the day as I have uploaded some of our wedding pictures onto my Facebook page. As I walked down memory lane this morning, a few things caught my attention. Nearly all of us have aged. Some of us have grown up. Danny is thinner. And I don't wear as much make up as I did five years ago!

We had a great photographer who captured so many candid moments in addition to the posed photos. Here is a link to my pictures, which can be viewed by anyone.

Our Wedding Day

You can clearly see the beaming happiness on my face in every picture. But I would have to say that my joy was (and is) beyond anything a picture could capture. I am so thankful for John and our marriage. I love him more today than I did the day I married him. I am still in awe of God's mercy and love in allowing us to find each other and enjoy such a blessed relationship. I discover new reasons to love and appreciate him every day. I could never have even imagined having such an amazing husband and marriage.

I tell John frequently that if I had made a list of every ideal quality I could have desired in a husband, he possesses all of those PLUS some that wouldn't have even been on my list -- because I wouldn't have even thought of them. He exceeds my highest expectations and my biggest dreams. I believe I could have been happy with less than God has given me, but God has demonstrated to me (in so many ways) that He is able to do exceedingly and abundantly above all that I could ever ask (or even think).

God has obviously demonstrated His love for me in a multitude of ways beyond my marriage to John. But having a genuine partner in life, a husband you are one with in Christ, someone who truly understands you, knows you, accepts you as you are, loves and values you and is your best friend, sharing a peaceful and loving home life filled with laughter, affection, mutual respect, admiration and appreciation...these are some of the greatest blessings in life. And I don't take them for granted.

Our pastor spoke last night about the sense of entitlement which pervades our present culture. He talked about how entitlement is the enemy of gratitude. Perhaps that is part of the reason I overflow with gratitude for these blessings. I feel so UNdeserving, so UNentitled, so UNworthy. I thank God that instead of giving me what I deserved, He showed me such immeasurable mercy and love. The greatest demonstration of His love, of course, was that He sent His Son to die in my place. Through that one demonstration of love, He provided everything I truly need. But He went beyond my greatest need and gave me one of the biggest desires of my heart; a happy marriage and a husband who loves me selflessly, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it. That's the kind of husband I have. And there aren't enough web pages in cyberspace to contain my gratitude.

Comments

Danny Bryant said…
happy anniversary. we love you guys.
Anonymous said…
Happy Anniversary, Shari and John! What a wonderful pair you are!
Shari, I feel the same way about Eric as you do about John. It's truly a blessing from God to be married to your best friend. Congratulations! May God bring you many years of peace, joy, and good health. God Bless you both!
With love, Ann (and Eric)
Shari said…
Thank you, Danny!

Thank you, Ann!