Long time no post...

I can't believe I haven't written anything in a week. It just seems like my life has gotten so busy lately (for someone without a full time job). I volunteer in the church office on Mondays. I host a small women's group on Tuesday evenings. I spend Wednesdays with the kids in Franklin. And I have been busy on Thursdays and Fridays, running around trying to get prepared for our trip to Israel in a few weeks (which is a euphemism for "I've been shopping a little more than usual.")

I try to make it to early morning prayer at least once a week. And that day has most often been Friday. For me to be out of the house no later than 6:15 requires that I commit to going the night before and wash my hair after working out. The last three Fridays, a friend and I have gone to Starbucks after prayer. We've been friends for about four years now and after I left Starbucks yesterday, I was thinking about how much God has done in both of our lives since we first met. We have these deep discussions about our spiritual growth. And this week we explored what it really means to be salt and light. (When we get it all figured out, I'll let you know.)

Today has been one of those laid back Saturdays I love. Other than watering the flowers and doing a couple of loads of laundry, all I have done is work out and read. One of these days I'm going to stop reading so many books at the same time. I'm re-reading "When People are Big and God is Small" with my small group. I'm almost finished reading "Running Scared: Fear, worry, and the God of rest." And I just started reading "Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews" by James Carroll.

This morning I focused on "Running Scared." I'm not reading this book because I feel like I'm running scared. I have had times when I was consumed with fear and worry. But I'm not in one of those times at the moment. I am actually at peace with all of my life's circumstances (even the ones that have brought anxiety in the past). But this book is not just for those who are consumed with fear and worry. It speaks to human nature and how often we wrestle with fear because we are not fully trusting God. It addresses our financial fears, our people fears and our fear of death.

There were several passages from the book that I intended to quote in this post, but I wound up chatting online for a while with a friend. And I must now get ready for church. I will be back with some good quotes as soon as I can.

Comments