I love being a grandma!

Andrew is 19 months old. You would never know it by the innocent look on his face in this picture, but he can hold his own in a fight. And he likes to assert himself with a short, but loud, scream.
Joshua will be three years old in November. He no longer poses and smiles for the camera. But I can still get a raised eyebrow if I mention jelly beans.
Yesterday, Joshua was having a hard time settling down for his nap. So Rebecca said I could go up and lay on his bed with him, read him a couple of books or just visit. She was sure he would love the company. So I went up and threw out the offer. Joshua said, "No, I don't want you to, Grandma Shari. I think I just want to lay here by myself." I find that he likes to give the answer you're not expecting. I asked him when he was going to come spend the night again. And he said, "Some time. But not today."
Both of them are a barrel of laughs on any given day. I always knew I would love being a grandma. But if any experience in life exceeds your highest expectations, I think it's being a grandparent. I adore these boys more than they will probably ever know. There's only one place they are sometimes not fun and that is a quiet restaurant (quiet with the exception of the two of them). The last two weeks we've done great going to Pie in the Sky because it's kid friendly (and there are other kids making noise). Yesterday Rebecca made the wise decision to call our order in ahead. When you don't have to wait for the food, everything just goes more smoothly. And most kids will eat pizza (even Joshua).
Sometimes I wish I wasn't an hour away. It would be awfully nice to see them every day or two instead of my usual once a week. But I can't imagine my life away from Murfreesboro, either. I have never lived anywhere that felt more like home. So I will gladly continue to commute.

Comments