Mercy and Peace

I have been reading again today from Kay Arthur's book, "Lord, Only You Can Change Me" (a devotional study from the beatitudes). Sometimes when I read, I feel inspired to share long passages and the thoughts they have provoked. Other times a few specific quotes stand out to me and they need no commentary. These words meant a lot to me today and I thought I would share them. They are from the chapter on mercy.

Be merciful toward the character of others. We all have different personalities, different temperament types. Therefore, you need to be merciful and respond to others in the light of their personality needs.

Some people need assurance. Give them assurance.
Some people are insecure. Affirm them.
Some people are weak. Support them.
Some people are timid. Encourage them.
Some people are reserved. Spur them on to love and good works.
(See 1 Thesselonians 5:14-15; Hebrews 10:24)

And then I also read this in the chapter on peacemakers. It was timely for me today as well.

The Greek word for peace signifies a harmonious relationship. This is important because it shows that peace is not merely the absence of war; peace is harmony. It's not a "cold war." It's not "an uneasy truce." It's not two frowning parties sitting back to back with their arms folded in stony silence. No, peace signifies a willingness to turn toward each other and embrace one another -- in spite of differences of opinion.

That is harmony. And, oh, how we need harmony! How we need peace! You and I weren't born for conflict. It takes a terrible toll on mind and body.

Comments