Thankful

I have been gone since 6:15 this morning and just got home a few minutes ago. Waiting for me on the front porch was a beautiful floral arrangement from Danny, Rebecca, Joshua and Andrew, expressing their love and appreciation for Grandma Shari. (Thanks, Guys!)

All day long I have felt loved and blessed and privileged.

I had actually planned to spend a quiet day at home today and maybe even blog about the book I just finished at some point. But last night I got an email from my friend, Jan, asking if I was going to morning prayer and wondering if I wanted to have coffee afterward. So I responded that I would. I woke up many times last night. Even though I went right back to sleep every time, I didn't feel like I had rested well when I woke up at 5:30 and knew I had to get up or I couldn't make it to the church by 6:30. The thought crossed my mind that I really felt like going back to sleep. And then the next thought went like this: "You may not always enjoy the privilege of having a morning prayer group any time you want to go. There are Christians all over the world who don't have this freedom or privilege. How could you choose to go back to sleep? You need to get dressed and go." I am so glad I did.

When I arrived, we had guests I had not known would be there. They are a couple (a pastor and wife) from another country. I don't know a lot about them, but I could tell that our church, our pastor and his parents have been friends to them and have supported their efforts through the years. They told us about the challenges they face as Christians in a part of the world where Christians are persecuted and how Christians have to take care of one another.

The wife told us about growing up in a family of fourteen children and being raised in a Christian home where adults were "allowed" to attend church if they chose to, but they were not supposed to take the children. Her parents took them anyway. At one point, her father was put in prison for his faith. If I understood correctly, he spent several years there. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with taking his children to church. But she said that his captors told him that if he would just spit on the cross, he could be a free man. I had tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. I thanked God that He nudged me to go and I did not miss hearing their testimony.

Even though I am very thankful for God's goodness and mercy in my life, I can't deny how much I take for granted on a daily basis. I was so humbled by this couple's testimony and the lives they are living for Christ.

After prayer, I had coffee with my friends, Jan and Debbie. I went to TJ Maxx. I had lunch with my friend, Karen. I ran a few shopping errands and picked up some flowers to plant on my patio (to replace the ones that have not done well in the heat). And I finally got home around 5:00. I've had such a blessed day. And as I've reflected on this couple's testimony throughout the day, I have just felt so thankful for the daily blessings and freedoms I enjoy and often take for granted.

I want to go outside and put the flowers in their pots before John gets home and it's time to work out. So I won't attempt to share any book highlights today. But I felt inspired to express my thankfulness.

Comments