An update on Allie (and reflection on God's mercy)

I'm so pleased and happy to report that Allie came through her surgery beautifully. Thank you for your prayers.

A hospital waiting room can be a stressful setting. But today actually felt more like a lot of old friends catching up. I saw a few people I haven't seen in a long time. And I really enjoyed talking, laughing and sharing pictures of our kids/grandkids.

Allie's parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all felt at peace going into the surgery and were strong in their faith that God was going to bring Allie through this difficult surgery. I felt that way, too. But there was still such a rush of emotion when the doctor finally came out and told us how well she had done and that they expected her breathing tube to come out by tonight. You just breathe a big sigh of relief when you hear those words. Valerie's eyes filled with tears (one of Allie's grandmas) and I understood her surge of emotion. I have been thinking so much about how I would feel if my little Andrew were facing open heart surgery. He and Allie are just a few weeks apart in age.

I got to see Allie just before her surgery. She is so special. I believe God will use her to reach and comfort others one day as a result of her experiences and the testimony she will have. There is a purpose in everything we go through and God sees Allie's life and the lives she will touch twenty years from now.

What an amazing perspective God has - not being held in time as we are. He sees all that we will one day become as we are still struggling to mature in Him. Long before we can see what He is accomplishing in our lives, He sees what each trial will produce in us. He sees simultaneously the process and the outcome. I have often looked back on times in my life when I felt hopeless or defeated and thought about what God had planned for my life that I could never have even imagined. He knew through it all where my path would lead and the joy that would come out of everything I have ever suffered. I may have lost heart at times along the way, but God has always been faithful and I know that nothing I have ever gone through was without purpose. Every situation of my life has taught me how to trust Him more.

I see now how God has strengthened my faith through heartache, disappointment and redemption. I had no idea where my path was headed in so many situations, but God saw me in today just as He saw me in yesterday and sees me in my tomorrows. I find such comfort in that. I remember feeling a few times like my life was over. There was even one time I prayed for God to take my life. But as I prayed that prayer (very sincerely at the time), He saw my today and what He was going to do in my life and heart. It makes me realize how merciful He is in not answering all of our prayers the way we want Him to.

I'm thankful for God's love, mercy and faithfulness. I'm thankful for my husband and family. I'm thankful for friends who love me warts and all. I'm thankful I was able to be in that waiting room today to witness God's provision and power. And I'm thankful for every person who was there supporting Val and Liz. God is so good.

Thank you again to everyone who prayed for Allie.

Comments