Trust

While reading about anxiety and frustration in chapter eight this morning, I got another answer to the "definition of sin" question. Whatever in our lives is not like Jesus is sin. Jesus trusted the Father and obeyed in all things.

We don't usually identify our fears, anxieties or worries as sin. But "the opposite of trust in God is either anxiety or frustration." Bridges writes the following about trust:

Some years ago, I surveyed the entire New Testament looking for instances where various Christian character traits were taught by precept or example. I found twenty-seven. It may not surprise you that love was taught most often, some fifty times. It may surprise you that humility was a close second with forty instances. But what really surprised me is that trust in God in all our circumstances was third, being taught thirteen or more times.

I don't have enough time this morning to write a lot, but there was a passage in chapter ten that I specifically wanted to share because it is the encouragement we all need when attempting to confront the reality of our sin...

If by now you are already discouraged about your sins, remember the gospel. Though your obedience to God's law is defiled and imperfect, Christ's obedience is perfect and complete. And God has not only forgiven you your sins (both the subtle and the not-so-subtle) but has also credited to you that spotless obedience of Christ. God does want to work in you and with you to deal with your sins, but He does so as your Father, not your Judge.

...If you have been humbled to some degree and your heart made more tender, then you are in a good position to continue on...

I am so thankful for the gospel. I am so thankful for Jesus. I am so thankful for God's provision in my life. Because I'm forgiven, accepted and loved, I can admit to myself and to others how deeply flawed I truly am. I can walk in the light, even though it exposes my darkness. I am not discouraged by my inadequacies because my faith is not in me. My faith is in Christ.

"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
Psalm 139:16

Bridges elaborates:

"Days ordained for me" refers not only to the length of my life but to all the events and circumstances of each day of my life. This is a tremendously encouraging and comforting thought. So when something happens that tends to frustrate me, I actually quote Psalm 139:16 to myself and then say to God, "This circumstance is part of Your plan for my life today. Help me to respond in faith and in a God-honoring way to Your providential will. And then please give me wisdom to know how to address the situation that tends to cause the frustration."

Have a blessed, anxiety-free, Monday! God is in control!

Comments