The Change & Blind Lead the Blind (lyrics)

This first song has always been one of my favorite Steven Curtis Chapman songs. I love his lyrics. This is what the Christian life should be about...a life that's showing we're undergoing the change.

THE CHANGE (Steven Curtis Chapman)

Well I got myself a T-shirt that says what I believe
I got letters on my bracelet to serve as my ID
I got the necklace and the key chain
And almost everything a good Christian needs, yeah
I got the little Bible magnets on my refrigerator door
And a welcome mat to bless you before you walk across my floor
I got a Jesus bumper sticker
And the outline of a fish stuck on my car
And even though this stuff's all well and good, yeah
I cannot help but ask myself--

What about the change
What about the difference
What about the grace
What about forgiveness
What about a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change, yeah
I'm undergoing the change

Well I've got this way of thinking that comes so naturally
Where I believe the whole world is revolving around me
And I got this way of living that I have to die to every single day
'Cause if God's Spirit lives inside of me, yeah
I'm gonna live life differently

I'm gonna have the change
I'm gonna have the difference
I'm gonna have the grace
I'm gonna have forgiveness
I'm gonna live a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change

This second song is one I just found. I don't think I have ever heard it. But the lyrics spoke to my heart this morning and I am adding them to this post. THE message is the cross. If our faith is centered on anything else, if we are focused on something else, particularly ourselves, we are in bondage.

BLIND LEAD THE BLIND (Steven Curtis Chapman)

There's a teacher in a school room
Somewhere on the edge of town
Telling innocent little children what we used to be
They look and listen without a question
They see the pictures passed around
Making facts out of a theory and they all believe
As the lost lead the way
Another heart is led astray

CHORUS
These are the days when the blind lead the blind
And there's one narrow way out of here
So pray that the light of the world will keep your eyes clear
'Cause it's a dangerous place here where the blind lead the blind

There's a preacher in a nice church
Anchored in the heart of town
People flock to hear his eloquent delivery
He talks of Jesus how he can please us
But the cross cannot be found
Makin' theory out of facts until they're all deceived
And the lost lead the way
And more hearts are led astray

CHORUS

This is a dangerous time
And the truth is hard to find
So let His word light your way
And guard every step you take

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like those, I had never head the 2nd one either. We sang 2 hymns today at church that were focused on Christ and the cross, they both humbled me and made me even more grateful for our Savior Jesus Christ.


Alas! and did my Savior bleed

Alas! and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For sinners such as I?

Thy body slain, sweet Jesus, Thine—
And bathed in its own blood—
While the firm mark of wrath divine,
His Soul in anguish stood.

Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
For man the creature’s sin.

Thus might I hide my blushing face
While His dear cross appears,
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt my eyes to tears.

But drops of grief can ne’er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give my self away
’Tis all that I can do.
written by Isaac Watts



Blessed Redeemer

Up Calvary’s mountain, one dreadful morn,
Walked Christ my Savior, weary and worn;
Facing for sinners death on the cross,
That He might save them from endless loss.

Blessèd Redeemer! Precious Redeemer!
Seems now I see Him on Calvary’s tree;
Wounded and bleeding, for sinners pleading,
Blind and unheeding—dying for me!

“Father forgive them!” thus did He pray,
E’en while His lifeblood flowed fast away;
Praying for sinners while in such woe
No one but Jesus ever loved so.

O how I love Him, Savior and Friend,
How can my praises ever find end!
Through years unnumbered on Heaven’s shore,
My tongue shall praise Him forevermore.
written by Avis Christiansen

Posted by Todd E.
Janette said…
Beautiful songs, Shari and Todd! I, too, have always loved "The Change" by SCC. In fact, I love almost all of his music.

While you guys are posting lyrics, I'll post the words to my favorite praise and worship song we sing in church. It's called "In Christ Alone." I LOVE singing songs about our wonderful savior, Jesus!

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save
'Till on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost it's grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Brought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
'Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand
Anonymous said…
Janette,

In Christ Alone, is my all-time favorite song. It is simply powerful and speaks about the centrality of the Christian faith, Christ Alone.

God bless.

Todd E
Danny Bryant said…
here is the song that is dominating my cd player.

tractor, tractor harvesting the wheat
tractor, tractor harvesting the wheat
harvesting the wheat, harvesting the wheat
tractor, tractor harvesting the wheat

there are also verses about a back hoe, jet plane, rocket, carriage, and fire truck.
Janette said…
I agree Todd. "In Christ Alone" is a powerful and moving song about the gospel. I can't sing it without crying.

Danny, your comment made me laugh out loud. I remember those days very well except our daily (actually, hourly) tune was the Thomas the Tank Engine music. Now it's your turn! :)
Danny Bryant said…
joshua writes his own thomas songs. my current favorite goes like this,

"harold's a helicopter! harold's a helicopter! harold's a helicopter."
Shari said…
Love all the lyrics. In Christ Alone is one of my favorites, too. I get goose bumps when I hear/sing it.

Just reading Joshua's songs brings a smile to Grandma Shari's face. : ) We had so much fun yesterday.

We love to give Joshua jelly beans when he comes over. He calls them jedda beans. Rebecca was getting after us (not seriously) because he hasn't been eating enough of what's good for him. And I said, "Oh, what are you going to do to us? Not let us BABYSIT???" LOL. (We kept the boys while they had a dinner date by themselves.)

Janette, just remember your kids have to grow up for you to have grandchildren and grandchildren are the most fun you will ever have!
Anonymous said…
I read this quote on one of the blogs I read fairly regularly http://bororean.blogspot.com/ and i thought it related to the song Christ Alone that we all love.

Nothing But The Cross!
What do you think and feel about the cross of Christ? You live in a Christian land. You probably attend the worship of a Christian Church. You have perhaps been baptized in the name of Christ. You profess and call yourself a Christian. All this is well. It is more than can be said of millions in the world. But all this is no answer to my question, “What do you think and feel about the cross of Christ?”

I want to tell you what the greatest Christian that ever lived thought of the cross of Christ. He has written down his opinion. He has given his judgment in words that cannot be mistaken. The man I mean is the Apostle Paul. The place where you will find his opinion, is in the letter which the Holy Ghost inspired him to write to the Galatians. And the words in which his judgment is set down, are these, “God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

Now what did Paul mean by saying this? He meant to declare strongly, that he trusted in nothing but Jesus Christ crucified for the pardon of his sins and the salvation of his soul. Let others, if they would, look elsewhere for salvation. Let others, if they were so disposed, trust in other things for pardon and peace. For his part, the apostle was determined to rest on nothing, lean on nothing, build his hope on nothing, place confidence in nothing, glory in nothing, except “the cross of Jesus Christ.” —J. C. Ryle (1816-1900)




Todd E