One more quote...

I'm trying to finish this book because I will be starting a new book with my small group this week. This book, Mere Christianity, reads kind of like a manual or a textbook. It's not for everyone. I have wanted to read it for a long time because it is quoted in other books and is written by an author whose other works I have enjoyed. I don't know if I'm a little strange, but I just wanted to have read this book. I love to read and learn. And by reading this, I think I have learned a bit more about C. S. Lewis, which was also one of the reasons I wanted to read it. I realize not everyone reads a book for these reasons. And I'm not sharing in detail on this one because I have not been inspired to write a lot as a result of reading it. But there are some really good quotes worth sharing. And this is one I read this evening:

...the right direction leads not only to peace but to knowledge. When a man is getting better he understands more and more clearly the evil that is still left in him. When a man is getting worse he understands his own badness less and less.

I wouldn't have chosen those exact words (better and worse), but I agree with the point he is making. It reminded me of the diagram Danny has drawn for most of us at one time or another of the cross getting bigger as we get smaller, or the cross getting small as we get bigger.

Comments

DeeDee said…
There's an old movie out about the life of C.S. Lewis set at the time he met his wife Joy, married her and then lost her to Cancer. It's a real tear jerker, a classic and well worth the time to watch it. It stars Anthony Hopkins (I love him as an actor) and Deborah Winger. If you are interested, I have it on Video Tape and I'll gladly lend it to you.