Happy 30th Birthday, Danny!



Thirty years ago about this time, I was saying, "I can't do this!" But I did, of course. I gave birth to a beautiful little baby boy; 8 lbs. 14 1/2 oz. and 21 inches long at 9:13 a.m., in Upland, CA. He had black hair and dark skin. And his head was shaped a bit like a mailbox. But, amazingly, it did become round.

The picture above is Danny at 3 months of age. By 6 months, he had lost all of his dark hair and he was blonde (almost white) with a fair complexion. But he never lost his blue eyes.

It's amazing that 30 years have passed since his birth. I remember my own 30th birthday and how old I thought I was. Now I have a 30 year old SON and I think I feel younger, in many ways, than I did then!

I was thinking back over many of the events of my life yesterday as I drove home from visiting my kids and grandkids. I may never know God's exact purposes in a lot of things that happened in my life, but I feel very certain about one thing. Danny was meant to be. And I have always loved being his mom. I wouldn't trade anything for having Danny in my life. He has always been a joy -- never caused me a day of sorrow. He has been an inspiration to me in so many ways.

I am so thankful to have such a close relationship with my adult son. He is truly one of my best friends. I've told numerous people that when I hear other moms express sadness that their little boys have to grow up, wishing they could keep them little, I say, "Not me. As much as I enjoyed Danny while he was little, I have only enjoyed being his mom more and more and more as he's grown into a man."

Every stage of Danny's life has brought greater joy to me than the one before. And I was the happiest mom in the whole world the day Danny married Rebecca. I was going through some stressful things personally at that time. But I remember feeling that nothing could rob me of the happiness of that special day. I will always remember it as one of the happiest days of my life. I had always looked forward to having a daughter-in-law. And Danny picked the most perfect young woman; not only for himself, but for his mom, too!

Through Danny, I have a daughter-in-law whom I consider as much my daughter as Danny is my son. And through the two of them, I have two sweet little blue-eyed grandsons. I am so blessed.

I well remember the agony of the labor pains I was experiencing 30 years ago at this moment. It made quite an impression on me. It was the worst physical pain I have ever experienced to this day. But that is truly UNremarkable, as all moms suffer to some degree while bringing a child into this world. The remarkable part of the story is that my baby boy has never caused me another ounce of pain from that day to this, his 30th birthday. And that IS truly remarkable!

Happy Birthday, Danny! Thanks for 30 wonderful years of being your mom! Thanks for making me proud! And thanks for giving me (with Rebecca's help) the joy and wonder of being Grandma Shari to Joshua and Andrew.

I'll see you tonight at the concert and I'll be bringing you chocolate chip cookies to share with your "school friends." Just like when you were the kid and not the teacher. : )

I love you!

Mom

Comments

Danny Bryant said…
thanks, mom. i must have been pretty good at not getting caught to not have caused you at least a little pain.

thanks for loving the boys, rebecca, and me.

thanks for being my mom and going through the labor. i have a new respect for you on that level with my two latest arrivals.
Shari said…
I didn't say you never disappointed or frustrated me. ; ) I'm talking about the pain in being a parent that I have seen so many people endure, worrying about their child and his or her choices.

And, yes, I have learned that you WERE good at not getting caught, too.
Janette said…
What a beautiful and fitting tribute to a truly amazing person. Happy Birthday Danny! Here's the scary part: I remember you when you were almost as little as the picture your mom posted (sigh). Love you bud!