A day with friends...


We normally get together for a Christmas Party every year. But this year December got away from us. So we had a New Year Party (at my house) instead today. We ate tacos and just hung out -- for the better part of the day. It was so good to see everyone. And we just couldn't resist making a little video message for you, Rachel and Lynda.

There is something special about spending time with friends who understand where you've been, where you are and where you're going in your journey. The group of us who got together today share a unique history. We don't see each other as often as we'd like, but we make a point of staying in touch.

Several in this video received a life-altering emotional and physical blow this week. So today was not only a day of reconnecting and enjoying each other, it was a much needed day of distraction and encouragement. I couldn't help but think about how thankful I am that I have faced enough hard places in my life to have words of comfort for people I love at such an emotional time.

Tonight, at church, our pastor talked about being good soil. He talked about God giving us a new name. And he asked us to think about the name we give ourselves every day in our thoughts. I thought about my life; where I've been and where I am. And the only name I could think of for myself was Thankful. I have lots of other names for myself. But Thankful trumps them all.

Our pastor printed, in our outline, the very scripture I quoted to one of my friends today. I believe and embrace this scripture with all my heart. It brings me comfort in my discouragement (with myself) as well as hope and encouragement for all the uncertainty that tomorrow may bring. It is Psalm 139:13-16 (NIV):

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. [14] I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. [15] My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, [16] your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. (My emphasis.)

I know that I am on the path God has ordained for me. My life is enriched by those friends whom God has provided to sustain me. And if God bothers to know the number of hairs on my head -- as insignificant as that is -- He certainly cares about all the details of my life. I take great comfort in knowing that the events of my life are not random, including the number of my days. Uncertainty is not easy for any of us. But if we can ever learn to truly and fully trust Him, which is the number one goal of my life these days, we will feel no uncertainty. There is complete certainty and security in the hands of God.

Comments

Janette said…
Shari,

It was so nice to be with all my old friends yesterday. Thanks again, Shari, for hosting us in your beautiful home and for the incredible lunch. I love you!
Janelle said…
Dear Shari,

We felt so welcome in your new beautiful home. Thank you so very much for inviting us and providing the warm atmosphere for us to visit and love one another. May you be continually blessed to overflowing!! Friends for life, Janelle
Anonymous said…
Shari,

Thank you so much for thinking of us! That video made me feel so special and loved. I wish I could have been there. I miss all of you so much! We all have a bond and understanding that ties our hearts together forever. I love you guys! Thanks Again!
Love,Rachel