I can't talk!

I am making a speedy recovery from the shingles, but I've now come down with laryngitis! I've had a scratchy throat for a week and just thought it was sinus related. But yesterday I started losing my voice, little by little, all day long. By last night, it was gone. I feel fine, other than the enormous amount of energy it feels like I have to expend to get the tiniest sound (more like a squeaky whisper) to come out!

We had a very relaxed, low key Thanksgiving dinner this year. Just me, John, his mom and youngest brother, Rob. But I think it was the best Thanksgiving dinner (as far as the food) in years. Everything just came out perfect this year. Normally, after I've cooked that much, the actual meal is anti-climactic for me. But not this year. I inhaled my dinner, it tasted so good. We had Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, yams fried in butter and brown sugar, cranberries, fresh green beans, corn and Virginia yeast rolls. The basic meal without all the fancy salads and extra veggies you get at a larger gathering.

Wednesday night, Marian and I baked four pies (pecan, pumpkin, chess and dutch apple) from scratch, as well as a batch of oatmeal cookies. I also decorated my tree.

Yesterday, John stuffed, baked and sliced the turkey. (He makes his own stuffing for the turkey and I bake my dressing in a pan, so we have two versions every year.) Marian mashed the potatoes. I did pretty much everything else. And there was nothing anti-climactic about the meal! I still felt full when I woke up this morning! If you can lose your voice from ingesting too much butter, I'm certain that's what is wrong with me! Ha!

It's a good thing I spent a full hour on the treadmill first thing yesterday morning. I threw all low G.I. eating to the wind for Thanksgiving, but I hope to be right back on the wagon today. Or at least partially back on the wagon. There are an awful lot of leftovers in the fridge and I love little turkey sandwiches on those leftover yeast rolls!

I missed my kids yesterday. They normally spend Thanksgiving with us and didn't come because of the concern for exposing Andrew to the chicken pox virus, since my little blisters have not completely disappeared. I can't wait to see them when I'm well from all my annoying little ailments. But I'm thankful I have them to miss. And I couldn't help but think about how blessed I am to have in-laws I feel so close to and enjoy so much. We had the most pleasant day and I thoroughly enjoyed cooking dinner for part of my Howerton family. (John is one of five, so it was a fraction of the whole bunch.)

I am thankful for so much. And I am profoundly thankful for my John. I tell him all the time that I don't deserve him. He makes faces and rolls his eyes and disagrees. But it's true. The fact is, I am undeserving of ALL my blessings. I'm so thankful God does not give us what we deserve. His mercy is so much better!

Comments