About Capernaum

*Note to reader: These comments were an afterthought as I was in the process of uploading new pictures. Since I started uploading pictures of Caesarea Philippi before I began this post, Blogger placed them beneath this one (according to the time I opened each post). I intended this post to be underneath the pictures of Caesarea Philippi, but Blogger goes by the time you start and not the time you publish. Make sure you scroll down and don't miss those pictures in case you have already seen these comments.

I am in the process of uploading pictures of Caesarea Philippi. But as I was reading in my study manual about that site, I noticed some details about Capernaum that I neglected to include with those pictures. For those of you who are into the details, I thought I would add a few comments about that site before I move on to the next one.

In Jesus' time between 3,000 and 5,000 people lived in Capernaum, making it one of the largest towns in the area. The house of Peter's mother-in-law was Jesus' headquarters and the site of many of his miracles. My study manual says that the house is actually what is known as an insula -- an extended family dwelling. We only see one of forty rooms, but the house was able to hold up to 200 relatives. The center kitchen was open to the sky and there were plenty of store rooms. This house is the first known house-church in the world. Where events happened, people met to worship. There are 134 examples of graffiti in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic, including Hebrew prayers in the name of Jesus.

The Franciscans control the site today and have built a modern church over the traditional site of Peter's mother-in-law's house.

I wish I could remember everything our guide told us at these different sites. He was like a fountain of information that never stopped.

Everyone asks me what was the highlight or my favorite thing. I hope these posts help to demonstrate why that is such an impossible question to answer. It was day after day after day of highlights and favorites. One of the reasons Capernaum was so special to me, though, was that I knew I was standing in places that Jesus definitely spent a lot of time. Standing in the location of the synagogue where I know He taught, looking at the ruins of the town and Peter's mother-in-law's house where He performed miracles, knowing Jesus referred to Capernaum as His own city made this location very special in a spiritual context. We saw sites that were more impressive in other ways, but anywhere we went that we knew for certain Jesus had spent time held enormous significance beyond an amazing or impressive historical excavation. Many times during this trip I said to John, "I can't believe we are here." Being in these locations illuminates the Bible and brings it to life in a whole new, tangible and visual way.

Before we left, our pastor told us not to go on this trip as tourists but to make a pilgrimage of faith. He has been going to Israel for thirty years and he told us how his faith is renewed and strengthened by every trip. That is why he makes so many trips and continues to lead groups annually. When I first came to our church, I have to admit that I did not fully relate to the love for Israel that I felt from our pastor and his parents. I had never been in a church that demonstrated such a love for Israel. Over the years that I have been there, and now that I have gone to Israel myself, I not only understand, I feel this same love growing in my own heart.

Comments